42. first trials & sugary turnouts

❝And you ain't gotta worry

'cause you know I got it

Know I got it, babe

- Zara Larsson, Ty Dolla Sign, So Good.

Wednesday, I met up with River at the bakery. Since I didn't have to work today, I'd somehow convinced River to come shopping with me for the cupcake ingredients and even stay with me while I bake them.

"So, what do you have to get?" He threw a quick glance at me as he drove. "What kind of cake is it? Tell me it's a chocolate cake."

"No, dork, it's a vanilla cake. I'll need some eggs and milk, but we've got that at home. So, I'm getting butter, sugar- Tanner will roast me for using all the sugar at home, uh, some vanilla flavoring, flour and baking powder." I paused. "Yeah, that's about everything."

We walked into the supermarket and River grabbed a cart and followed me through the aisles until I stopped at the aisle for baking items. I bit my lip, my eyes furrowed as I looked at the different brands of each item I needed.

"They're all the same thing, right?" River queried.

I chuckled, knowing what he was getting at, "Yeah."

"Then, just pick one each of what you need and let's leave."

"Impatient, aren't we?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"You can't blame me. Anytime I go out with my mom to get stuff, we spend like an hour in a store."

I laughed, "Now, you're exaggerating."

"I'm really not," his face broke into a smile. "Sometimes I make Riley go with her. Makes me feel like a douche when I do it, but I don't know, you girls understand each other."

I laughed at what he said and took a pack of flour off the rack and put it into the cart. "Speaking of Riley, is she excited for her party?"

"You bet she is. Now, she's all about my birthday this, my birthday that."

"She's so cute." I sighed, taking a tub of baking powder off the rack too.

"Is there really a difference between baking powder and baking soda?"

"Apparently," I nodded. "Baking powder is stronger. It can work without baking soda."

"I see," he ran his fingers through his hair. "Hey, wouldn't you need to get cupcake liners?"

"Yeah, I do. I forgot to write it," I said, immediately grabbing some cupcake liners.

*

"How did you convince me to come with you again?" River asked as he pulled up to my house.

"I'm a charmer like that," I stuck a tongue out. We both got out of the car and River grabbed the things I'd gotten from the back seat.

"Aw, look at him being a gentleman," I teased and he rolled his eyes.

We got into the kitchen and River sat on the counter, watching my every move.

"If I make these cupcakes and they flop, I'll be so upset," I commented, arranging everything I'd gotten on the counter before going to bring out a hand and stand mixer Tanner always kept in the drawer.

"Even if it does, you could just get her cupcakes."

"Remember what I told you? I just want to do something for her," I said, pouring in some sugar and adding butter in a bowl, starting to mix it with the small machine in hand.