you are you | dustin henderson

"She's so amazing! You guys would love her," Dustin exclaimed to everyone as he fixed his new hat. His new hat.

"Hey, where's your hat?" You asked him curiously.

"Suzie has it. I gave it to her," he grinned.

"Oh." It was the only thing you could say to hide the fact that you were disappointed and upset. You had asked him for that hat before to which he replied "No way! This is my greatest treasure. The one thing I cannot live without. For me to give it away, it must mean that I have lost all common sense."

So, he's obviously crazy about this Suzie girl. Will looked at you sympathetically. Without you having to tell him, he had figured out how you felt about Dustin.

"How was your trip?" Will asked hoping to change subjects.

"Awesome! I learned so much and Suzie was my partner in crime through it all. She made everything great! She's so funny, beautiful, intelligent . . ."

Will looked at you and frowned. I'm sorry. He mouthed. You only smiled and shook your head. He needn't worry.

"Well, I would like to mention that I met someone too!" You blurted. That was a complete lie. Why did you feel the need to lie?

Everyone looked surprised. Almost everyone had a partner but you. You were only seventeen though, so why need anyone? Yet here you were telling people you had a boyfriend just to hopefully get a reaction from Dustin.

"W-what?" Dustin muttered.

"Yup! This summer also brought me close to someone," you told him. Everyone just kept quiet. It was true, you did get close to someone this summer, but not that way.

"Who?" Mike asked curiously. You could tell everyone else was wondering the same thing.

"Steve!"

"What the f—"

"STEVE!?" Dustin yelled. "Our Steve? As in Harrington Steve?"

You had gotten closer to Steve over the summer. You visited his Ahoy Ice Cream Parlor or whatever it was called—you never truly paid attention. You both talked about how much you missed Dustin. Steve knew you had feelings for him.

"You and Steve? No way! That's such a lie." Lucas pulled at his nonexistent hair.

"What? Why is it so hard to believe?"

"Because! Steve is Steve," Dustin said it with such admiration, "and you are you. Plus, Steve is like old."

Max's almost popped out of her sockets. Dustin had offended you without thinking about it.

"Well, I'll have you know that Steve thinks I'm awesome! As for you, you're a complete asshole!" You yelled before storming out of Mike's basement. You turned around quickly to add, "Plus, he is only a year older than me!" Then, you stormed back up the stairs.

You overheard Lucas saying "man, what's wrong with you!" as you exited the place.