47. banters & games

"I miss you like hell,

I know you'll be back though."

                      - Maggie Lindemann, Friends Go.

"Wait, did you say Ridgeview High?" I sat up on the beanbag.

"Yep," Xavier replied, looking at me as he ran his fingers through his hair.

"That's my school!"

"No way," he laughed

"Hey, but that's cool, though," I mused.

"You think? You won't be saying that when we beat your school's ass." He said, throwing a quick glance at River who walked in through the door, throwing a skittle into his mouth.

"River, can you believe Xavier's game tomorrow is with my school?" I looked at him, a smile on my face.

"How neat is that?" Xavier took the packet of skittles River held in his hand and threw some in his mouth.

"I want some," I gestured to Xavier who handed the pack to me and I smiled in content.

"So, the game is in your school?" River asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Mhm," I nodded and he walked to the beanbag where I sat, sitting right beside me and throwing an arm around me, pulling me close.

We were in a large room, a place where River did all his paintings and Xavier sat in front of me and River, painting something so abstract but beautiful.

"Xavier, why haven't you dropped out of school yet?" I asked, watching him.

River chuckled and I felt the vibration from his chest, "His parents would kill him."

Xavier looked at me, "Exactly. Plus, I'm actually more into football than art. Unlike me, art is fully River's thing."

"You know, now that I know the game is in my school, I'm looking forward to the game even more," I grinned evilly.

"The only thing I can tell you is, get ready for some serious ass whooping," Xavier said, focused on what he was painting.

"Ha, reminds me of last week when you were so confident about beating me in Madden."

River burst out laughing, "Epic stuff, but that was the school I attended, so I'm on Xavier's team this time."

"Well, that's understandable. But I have faith in my school," I stated.

"We'll see," Xavier smirked before looking at River seriously, "Dude, you promised to do this painting with me."

River took out a skittle from the packet I held, nodding to Xavier, "You're doing a good job, though."

"Yeah, you're only saying that because you're preoccupied," he placed emphasis on the last word.

I chuckled, while River told him, "Go get yourself a girlfriend."

Girlfriend. The word made me get those butterfly-in-my-stomach feelings. It was already a week since River asked me to be his girlfriend and so far, I was loving it. When I had told Tanner about it, he'd gone teasing me, calling me River on the pretext of not knowing my name for about three days straights. I always rolled my eyes at him, but deep down, I liked it. By the time I got out of my thoughts, both guys were talking about a girl named Tiffany.

"Who's Tiffany?" I queried.

"This girl Xavier dated for four days," River answered, laughing, his eyes closed as he threw his head back.