Ch 33: Informing the Help

Jasper stared at Adelaide in astonishment, blinking several times to ensure he was, in fact, awake. His mouth hung open in bafflement as he attempted to form the appropriate response. Jasper glanced at his nephew, who was quietly smirking. His gaze then drifted towards Kayden, who stood at the far side of the room with a regretful scowl on his face.

The four of them currently resided in Jasper's study. It was a small room, four walls with a couple windows, and a warm fireplace that sat in the corner quietly warming the entire space. Jasper sat at his desk with Adelaide directly across from him. Henry leaned against one of the walls occasionally glancing outside the window at the snow that had gently begun to fall over the castle. Kayden, in contrast, stood as close to the door as possible. His body was angeled as if he was expecting to require a quick getaway.

"So, let me get this right," Jasper began slowly, pointing a finger at Adelaide accusingly. She sat across from him with a straight spine and severe expression, but her brow was furrowed nervously, and she appeared to be biting the inside of her cheek. "You want me to sneak you out of the castle and then bring you back under the guise of Arthur's long-lost sister just so you can role-play what it's like to be a maiden?"

Adelaide's face scrunched up in an ugly smile, but she nodded her head. Jasper's mouth still hung agape as he turned towards Henry, who appeared to be uncharacteristically enjoying the situation. Henry gave an innocent smile as he blinked slowly and guiltlessly, making Jasper scowl in annoyance. Seeing that his nephew was going to provide no explanation, Jasper turned towards a very uncomfortable and disgruntled Kayden.

"I knew nothing about this," Kayden said immediately, noting the incrimination in Jasper's gaze. He held his hands up defenselessly and took a few steps closer to the others. "They just suddenly grabbed me on their way here. This is all new to me as well."

As if hesitating to believe him, Jasper narrowed his eyes dangerously. He took turns shooting criminalizing looks at all of them before relaxing back into his chair with a heavy sigh.

"Can I ask why we're going through all this trouble?" Asked a defeated Jasper. Kayden looked at Adelaide with the same question in his eyes. Adelaide, in turn, looked towards Henry as if the entire thing had been his idea. Henry widened his eyes at her in response, and the two began a silent argument with coordinated glares and occasional head jabs. Eventually, clearly defeated, Adelaide turned back to look at Jasper, but she seemed to be having a difficult time making eye contact.

"Well," she coughed, clearing her throat loudly and readjusting her position so that she was on the edge of her seat. Her hands were politely folded in her lap, but she was refusing to focus on anything for too long. "I just want to know what it's like to be a girl, even if it's just for a few days. I just want to pretend to be Adelaide for a time."

"And what if people begin to suspect something?" Inquired Jasper patiently.

"It'll only be for a couple of weeks," explained Adelaide, an eagerness rising in her voice as she desperately tried to convince Jasper. "I'll pretend to be Arthur's sister for only a little while before making up some sort of excuse as to why I have to leave again. I'll just tell people I'm going off to find a new husband or something, and I'll go back to being Arthur permanently."

Jasper and Kayden both could tell the excitement that had been lingering in Adelaide's voice faltered as she finished speaking. It was clear she wasn't thrilled about going back to pretending to be a boy for the rest of her life, but she also had made it clear she didn't want to leave their company. There was also the matter of Adelaide not wanting to explain why she had lied everyone for so many years.

"I don't see this going as well as you think," Jasper said with a sigh, leaning on his desk, his hands supporting his chin. Fatigue had begun to wear down his spine, but he also couldn't look away from the pitiful expression Adelaide currently wore. Desperation was rolling off her like waves, practically suffocating Jasper to see her reason. "But I'll do what I can to help. When did you want to start this little charade?"

"As soon as possible," Adelaide said brightly, her face splitting into a captivating grin. She clapped her hands together in joy and jumped a little in her seat. Henry rolled his eyes at her reaction and looked back out the window as if the matter wasn't all that interesting to discuss. Kayden looked at Adelaide warily before glancing at Henry. He gave a peculiar glance between them before straightening and backing away to the door again.

"Alright, I'll start getting things ready. I don't know how long it'll take, considering it'll just have to be Kayden and I prepping everything," Jasper started, loudly interrupted by Kayden's protest.

"I'm participating?" Kayden asked astounded and a little affronted, stepping between Jasper and Adelaide, the desk keeping Jasper well out of Kayden's reach.

"Of course," Jasper responded as if the answer was obvious. "Adelaide and Henry wouldn't have grabbed you if they weren't planning on incorporating you into this..." his voice trailed off as he searched for the right words, "adventure of theirs."

Kayden looked at Adelaide for confirmation, but she quickly swung her head around, her curls whipping to the side of her head. She bit her lip nervously and squirmed under Kayden's attention. The guard then looked towards Henry who just shrugged his shoulders at the matter, as if he too thought it was obvious he'd have to participate.

"I don't really get a choice in the matter," Kayden sighed, his shoulders slumping slowly. Jasper smiled sympathetically while folding his fingers together on top of the desk. "I'll do my best to help out, though."

"Thank you, Kayden," Adelaide chimed, beaming at him. Unable to stay angry for long, Kayden relaxed, soaking up Adelaide's gratitude like it was sunlight. He smiled softly and nodded his head to her assuredly. Henry raised his eyebrow curiously, glancing between the two. He remained silent, however, and on the opposite side of the room, his arms crossed and his expression uninterested.

"Well, Adelaide," Jasper began after a long pause. He stood up slowly, stretching his spine gradually, and looked down at Adelaide with an exhausted look. "Are you ready to be a girl again?"

Adelaide grinned, nodding her head emphatically.