Part 5

The next week was brutal.

Each day I would get up before dawn, moving to my office to get started as soon as possible. Reading, studying, I was trying to learn a lifetime of knowledge at a breakneck pace. I still was piecing together bills and tax documents, working with Hallers to consolidate all the debt I could. Fortunately, as I was still in good standing with the Royal family, the interest and repayment plans were very generous.

I stayed locked in that tiny room, only to pause whenever Hallers brought up a meal, an increasingly worried expression on his face with each passing day.

"Miss, you must sleep!" He broke his professional silence on the fourth day, as he walked in late into the night, finding me reading a chapter on historical government forms while taking notes by candlelight. I glanced up, surprised to see him still dressed up in a proper butler uniform despite the late hour.

"Hallers, I'm sorry, did I wake you? I just have a few more pages... and then there's still the letters from the Eastern section of Duchy...." I leaned back, rubbing my eyes with a yawn. "You might as well go to bed. I'll make sure to blow the candle out when I finish."

He stood his ground, looking determined. "No, Miss." He picked up the candle, ignoring my squawk of protest. "I cannot let you run yourself into the ground. You cannot save this Duchy in the space of a week."

"But... I ..."

"The work will be waiting for you in the morning. But for now, please, I'm begging you... go to sleep?" He looked so miserable, I found myself nodding without realizing it.

"Fine. I'll do this in the morning."

I went off to bed, hiding a smile. When was the last time someone worried about whether or not I slept?

Beyond the work I had to do between lessons and the financial organization, there was still the matter of the corruption within the Duchy to deal with.

"Hallers?" Early in the week, I called him into the office.

He stood at attention, waiting. "Yes, Miss?"

I handed him a paper. "I need you, or someone you would trust with your life, to go into the city. In the Northwest square you will find a man who sits under a blue awning named "Rig." Hand him this note, and tell him that you will purchase the information requested within for 50 crowns."

Despite the oddity of the request, Hallers was a professional, his only reaction a single raised eyebrow "Is that all?"

"No." I sighed. "He will demand at least twice the amount offered. You are to refuse this and tell him that 'Angel' sent you."

"Who is this 'Angel', miss?"

"No one." I laughed. "It's a code, which only his inner circle know. If you say this, it will allow you to purchase the information I need for that price. He will tell you when you can retrieve it."

Who would have thought that the knowledge I had earned being one of Rig's info runners while living on the street would be helpful so quickly? I had hated the man at the time, but even I had to admit that he was the best when it came down to tracking down things others wanted to hide.

"It will be done." With a short bow, he turned to leave. I called after him.

"Oh, and Hallers?" When he paused, I added, "Postpone any meeting with our men involved in tax collection/counting until after you have what I requested."

"It will be helpful to you?"

I grinned evilly. "Let's just say I don't believe in going into battle without a weapon."