Eilogue

•- A Few Months Later -•
•- Laine Bennett -•

The sound of construction had since diminished, the men and women in their hard material hats had taken their leave and left the most beautiful sight for sore eyes.

Standing in the middle of the newly done floor stood my elder grandma, a soft twinkle in her eye just noticeable from the chandelier's sharp sparkle above.

The store that had been such a safe haven for Thea and I was now completed and had new clientele in their exquisitely expensive jewelry wandering amongst the antiques that were freshly polished to meet the classy standards of the lavish interior.

My arms wrap securely around my grandmother's shoulders as she stares, like the rest of us, in complete amazement.

"Lainey, this is much more than I ever expected. This was everything I ever wanted," she whispers as her hands pat my own gently.

I nuzzle into her neck gently before giving her shoulders a tight squeeze.

"I love you, Grams. You deserve this," I reply to her kind words before parting from her frail body to attend to my own necessary role in today's grand opening.

I find myself hidden in one of the back offices where I'd helped establish a clear design for the interior of each designated office.

I was facing away from the door when I hear the large oak creak open. A pair of strong and masculine arms secure around my waist and I fall back into the chest of the man responsible.

"If I remember correctly, Miss. Bennett, me being a hermit during a business event lead to some of the best sex of all time. So unlike you, I encourage this anti-social behavior."

I roll my eyes as my arms wrap around Austin's.

"You should be celebrating, you know. This is all thanks to you," I say truthfully as I tilt my head to the side to see that soft maintained stubble lining his chiseled jaw.

His lips connect to my shoulder despite the thick blazer covering my bare flesh. "Yeah, but you just so happen to be as much as a help here as I was," he smiles cheekily before entrapping my lips in his own.

I shrug my shoulders against his back before turning in his arms. I wrap my arms around his neck and hold on for dear life, because losing this man in any sense had become my biggest fear.

"All I did was the math. I'm not the one who came home covered in all that construction site shit," I laugh.

True to our shared excitement for our future, soon after the small plans we'd made for moving in with one another, we found a small and manageable townhouse that had enough space to last us the first few years of a growing relationship. Thankfully, Austin had done some work for the owner of the entire block and we were able to snag another townhouse for my family. Thankfully they lived on the corner and we lived in the strip of townhomes, but we'd managed to succeed in finding a living situation that benefitted not only us as a couple, but the two most important people in my life.

"Yeah, but think about all the shower sex we had. You know, we should do that again sometime," he raises his eyebrows suggestively, to which I shake my head.

We were a year into our relationship, and the man in front of me never ceases to turn even the most innocent and safe topics into a sexual innuendo. But God help me, I loved him for it.