Happy New Year 1978

For the Marauders, 1978 began with a bang.

They stood on the shore of the lake across from the castle, having trekked through the trees - it hadn't been a long walk, but regardless Sirius had spent the time subtly complaining how much faster it would've been in their animagus forms, had they not had to walk the whole way because of Lily, Regulus, and Remus's inabilities to change. The beach was pale blue and lavender from the light of the moon reflecting off the dark of the lake and the sand. They magicked two big old logs onto the center of the sand and Lily set a lovely little fire with a flick of her wand, and they sat about it on the logs, talking about anything and everything except that war, having agreed that it was time to think of happier things.

"One wish for the New Year," said Remus, looking about at them, remembering the game his mum and dad used to play just before midnight every year. "Starting with you, Sirius."

"I wish for the most bang on wedding there was bleedin' ever - wish disco balls and unicorns and muggle pizza for food."

"Wedding?" Regulus asked in surprise.

Sirius nodded and he held up his hand, which had Remus's father's ring on it. Then nodded at Remus. "My Moony's agreed to make us legitimate."

Regulus's eyes bounced between the two of them.

"Though I suppose you and mother still won't count it, seeing as it's gay as fuck," Sirius said accusingly.

Regulus shook his head, "Actually... I... my wish is that I could come to it." His voice was hopeful.

"Of course you can," Remus said before Sirius could say no.

Sirius didn't look like he'd been about to say no, however, his face was stunned as he stared at Regulus...

"Pete, what's your wish?" Remus asked.

Peter stammered, "I - I wish for... for peace, for James's plan to work and for me to be freed." His face turned rather pink and Lily wrapped an arm about his shoulders and kissed his cheek. Peter flushed happily at the contact, so casual and so much like something that Lily would've done to Sirius or Remus, yet so rarely did it happen to Peter, and he was thrilled to feel like he was as important as the others. 

"Lily?" Remus asked.

Lily thought for a moment, looking at James, who smiled at her. "I wish for all of us setting on the right paths for our futures," she decided. "For acceptances into programs we want to study at university and getting jobs and everything that we dream about."

"Good one, Evans," Sirius spoke up.

"James?"

"As Lily said... our futures," James said, nodding, "Love and life and all the things we want in them." He smiled as Lily squeezed his hand.

Remus nodded, looking around at them all.

"How about you, Moony?" Sirius asked, "What is it that you wish?"

"That we don't lose touch with one another after school ends," Remus said quickly, "That we all remain as close as we are today for the rest of our lives."

"Of course we will," Sirius said, "Bleeding hell, we're the fucking Marauders!"

Peter said, "Can I add that wish to my list as well?"

They all laughed. 

Sirius stood up and stretched, "Well," he said, "Near to midnight. Are you lot ready?"

"Ready?" Regulus asked, "Ready for what?"

Sirius grinned, "For my most bloody brilliant Filibuster's display yet."