01. and so we meet again

AN: Heyyyy, before y'all read make sure to highlight this and comment on how you found this book and tell me where you're from! Don't forget to vote! :)

"And I'm nervous, truth be told, I never saw me growing old in Oakland, in Oakland."

***

"The Huskies and the Bruins are neck and neck as the fourth quarter comes to a close!" 

Sweat dripped down my forehead as I sprinted to the other side of the court. We had exactly one minute until the end of the game and thirty seconds to shoot and break the tie before the shot clock goes off. This game against Washington State was tough, not only did they have a great defense but they have one of the best shooters in the league, Elias Nelson. 

He's a beast, 6'7 and holds the record for most three-pointers in a game. I looked up to him in high school, it's crazy that I'm playing against his team r—

"Isaiah! Blackjack!" Kendrick, our point guard, shakes me out of my thoughts as he calls out the next play. 

Shit, I'm getting distracted. I look at the shot clock, twenty seconds to get the defense off of Cameron so he can shoot a three. Kendrick quickly passes the ball to EJ who's in the middle of the court. I look to see Cameron stuck in the middle of Washington State's defense, they've definitely figured out that Cam is our best three-point shooter. Everyone talks about how he's close to beating Elias' record. 

"Hey!" I yell at EJ so he can pass me the ball. Maybe if I pretend I'm about to shoot a three I can get those guys off of Cameron. 

I move to the left corner of the court as EJ passes me the ball, but before I have the chance to fake them out the Washington boys are already all over me. I hesitate to pass the ball back to EJ since three Washington state players are up in my face blocking me. I look back at the shot clock, ten seconds. 

"Come on King, get outta there!" Coach Cronin shouts. 

"It seems like freshman Isaiah King is trapped in the corner under the Huskies defense." one of the announcers says.

"The shot clock is inching to zero, I'm not sure if the Bruins can make this one." the other speaks into the microphone.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I'm trapped. I don't know what to do. 

"Isaiah over here!" EJ shouts, but I can't see him, I can't risk them getting the ball. 

"Seven seconds..."

Shit.

"Six."

"Five."

"Four."