Chapter 1

SINGHANIA SADAN

It was 14th July. The day of her marriage. The day when she was going to become his. She didn't even know him properly. They had barely talked to each other. They just saw each other properly on the engagement day. He had a handsome presence, but she wasn't ready to marry him. Because marrying him will mean the death of her dreams. Moreover she was forced to marry him as the marriage will be profitable for her father's business.

But she remained quiet and let the tears stream down her face. Since childhood, she had been taught by her mother and grandmother that every girl should face this fate only. She has no right to say anything against the men and has to follow their orders. She thought Why is this world so cruel towards women? She wanted to study further and become a jewellery designer but as said by her grandmother - "A woman's permanent place is the kitchen.  Her mind shouldn't go beyond that", she remained quiet.

A bride is supposed to be happy and excited on the day of her wedding but the case with her was completely opposite. She sat in front of the mirror with a make up laden face hiding the sadness in her eyes, in a bridal attire. A mangtika adorned on her forehead with a nose stud piercing her nose, a heavy necklace clasped around her neck and a ghoonghat on her head - giving her a Rajasthani bridal look. But this was just a curtain to hide how broken she was from within.

She looked herself in the mirror. This was the last time she would see her carefree maiden self in the mirror. She looked around her room. This was the same room in which she spent all her childhood and youth. Her dolls, her colours, her paintbrushes, her teddy bears, her curtains, her carpet, her bed , her bed sheet, her pillow - all these things made her feel so comfortable and homely. She could call all these things her own and that made them special but she was gonna leave all these things. She used to dance in this room, she used to cry in this room but she had to leave all the memories spent in that room behind.

"Naira", her bhabhi (sister in law) Keerthi, knocked on the door bringing Naira out of her trance.

Keerthi gave Naira a sympathetic look and walked towards her. She cupped her face.

"They have come", Keerthi said and this made Naira to shed fresh tears.

Naira hugged her tightly, crying into her sari.

"I don't wanna go", Naira cried into Keerthi's sari.

Keerthi wiped away her tears and cupped her face.

"You'll be happy there....Kartik is a nice guy", Keerthi spoke some words of comfort and holding Naira's hand took her downstairs to the mandap.

And there he was sitting cross legged, his hands joined, eyes closed as the Pandit chanted some mantras. He was dressed in a golden sherwani, a red nuptial garb tied around his head and a sword hung on his side as a part of Rajasthani culture.

"Ab vadhu ko bulaiye( Now call the bride)", the Pandit spoke and Kartik opened his eyes to see Naira descending the stairs.

She walked across the floor and Keerthi made her sit beside Kartik. All this while, her eyes were stuck to the floor, she didn't dare to look at him. Kartik smiled seeing her attitude.

"Ab var aur vadhu pheron keliye khade ho jaiye(May the bride and groom stand for the seven vows)", the Pandit said and  Kartik and Naira stood up. Keerthi tied the knot and Kartik and Naira started taking the seven vows with the Pandit chanting the mantras.

After the seven vows, Akshara, Naira's mother forwarded the mangalsutra to Kartik so that he could clasp it around Naira's neck and declare that she is his. Kartik took the mangalsutra and looked at Naira who was still now not able to look into his eyes. Without thinking twice, Kartik clasped the mangalsutra around Naira's neck and regained his position. Akshara forwarded the box of vermillion to Kartik and latter took a pinch of it. Mishti, Naira's younger sister picked up her mangtika so that Kartik could fill Naira's hairline with the vermillion. Naira closed her eyes while Kartik filled her hairline with the vermillion. Kartik turned away from Naira after doing this while a lone tear escaped Naira's eyes.