EPILOGUE

[NOTE: AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER, DON'T REMOVE THE BOOK FROM YOUR LIBRARY JUST YET! THERE'S STILL A FINAL AUTHOR'S NOTE + GLOSSARY + CAST LIST COMING UP

[NOTE: AT THE END OF THE CHAPTER, DON'T REMOVE THE BOOK FROM YOUR LIBRARY JUST YET! THERE'S STILL A FINAL AUTHOR'S NOTE + GLOSSARY + CAST LIST COMING UP. SEE YOU ALL ON THE OTHER SIDE!]

[ONE MILLION YEARS LATER.]

SOLITUDE WAS A FITTING PUNISHMENT for a monster.

It keeps you stuck in a frozen eternity.

Always dying.

Never dead.

No one saw the crystal crown atop my head. No one saw the carpet of bleeding red staining my footsteps. No, those fools were too busy ringing empty prayers in the lonely streets, offering hymns to their gods.

False gods were worshipped with flowers.

Real gods demanded blood.

Fragrant smoke floated around my ankles, a sea of glittering incense and burnt ash. 

The mirror was ancient.

Blood dripped down from those curled lashes, healing back the skin ever so slowly, rebuilding its flesh - the way it had done a hundred times before, a thousand times before that, a million times before even that. There was only vehement loathing, an aching hate in those indigo eyes as the reflection looked back through the thick smoke. 

There was only hatred there.

The problem with reflections was that most of them told the truth.

Haze enveloped my senses and filled them up like fine wine. The screech of knives pierced my ears, the sound of it worming into my brain as I gathered my knives and chalked out the ritual on the freezing marble floor. 

Crimson trickled down my hand. A metallic taste of it filled my mouth as the dark figure loomed closer to me.

The shade had appeared minutes ago, hungry for my blood.

"I want her gone. I want all of them gone."

The smoke shifted with a hiss. Embers of glowing red bored into my eyes, turning the blood in my veins turned to ice.

"You knew them?" 

"Yes."

"What were they like?" the shade whispered, voice harsher than rusted nails scraping across a wall of iron.