I really fucked up...

Max

I fucked up, there's no way around that

I fucked up, there's no way around that. I really fucked up, but I don't have time to think about that now. "Are you okay there, Max?" John asked once I opened my eyes back up, "looking a bit pale."

I gave him my very best smile before speaking, "I'm doing great, just feeling the aftershocks of the flu I had."

He looked a shocked, "the flu that you had...five weeks ago?" he asked confused.

"Yes, silly."

_

"Thank you for your generous order," I said to the customer before hanging the phone up, and typing their information into the computer, this job is ass.

"Hey, Max," Jim said smiling and leaning in toward me, "you looked beautiful today, like wow." I smiled at him, unable to form words at the moment. "D-do you come here often?" he asked, sly.

I covered my mouth, trying to cover the laughter that was spilling out of my mouth, "is that the best you got?" I asked him as his face flushed, obviously embarrassed, "I work here by the way."

He looked at me with his dumb, stupidly cute face before licking his lips, "I—" he said before nodding his head, leaning back in his chair. "I'm just gonna wallow in self-pity."

"Yeah?" I asked him sarcastically, biting my lip, "want to go somewhere with me for a minute?"

I think he got the gist of what I was asking of him because he pushed his chair back and stood up almost immediately, "I know just the place," he said, reaching out to me, but before I could take his hand Michael had to ruin the perfect moment.

"Hey everyone," he yelled, gathering everyone's attention, I groaned, "can I have your attention, please? I just thought you all should know that Stanley Hudson is planning on leaving us because our old friend Karen from Utica is going to give him more money to work there."

I looked at Jim confused as everyone applauded Stanley on his new venture, "your ex?" I asked him, he shrugged.

"No, no, no, no, no-no, no, no." Michael said stomping his feet like the child that he is, "you completely misinterpreted my tone, this is a horrible thing. Clearly, Karen is trying to get back at us because Jim dumped her."

I laughed once he said that Jim looked down at me with his big hazel eyes, "I don't think that is what's happening," he said loudly before speaking to me, "it was a mutual break up, so that's not happening."

"Okay," I nodded, raising my eyebrows.

Michael looked at the two of us, shaking his head, "Okay, smartypants, then why?" he asked Jim, "why is she trying to take Stanley from us?" he shrugged, unsure.

"I think it's because of my sales record," Stanley said speaking up.

"That could not possibly be it," Michael dumbly replied.