Chapter 72 | Happy Valentines Day

"Did she really say that?" Euphemia asked incredulously, nearly spitting out her drink as she laughed at what Charlus was telling her about his sister, Olivia, and the letter that she had sent to him, which had been delivered to him at breakfast that very morning.

"Yes...she wants the bridesmaid dresses to be pink, by the way," Charlus added and Mia's smile dimmed for a second before she laughed it off, ignoring the sinking feeling in her stomach at the mention of bridesmaids - Cassiopeia had recently informed her via letter that the bridesmaid dresses for her wedding to Orion would be a 'pleasant' cream colour.

"Olivia sounds like a lot of fun...I wish I had a sister," Euphemia said wistfully, thinking of the fun and friendship she would have with a sister, the companion that she would have to fill those lonely summers where she was holed up in her room, making no noise and pretending she didn't exist.

"You really don't - especially not Liv. She's a nightmare," Charlus groaned but there was a fond twinkle in his hazel eyes before he added, "Rochelle's alright, I guess. She used to be pretty annoying, always following me around everywhere but she's got her own friends now so she doesn't bother me as much," he told his girlfriend, who smiled in response.

"How come you never really mention her?" Mia asked, thinking that if she had a sister, she would talk non-stop about her, no matter how annoying she may be. Euphemia just longed for company at home sometimes, someone to cheer her up when she was punished instead of her wallowing in self pity in her bedroom, crying over her injuries on her own.

"How come you never really talk about Marius?" Charlus diverted Mia's question by asking one of his own but a sad expression came over her face when reminded of her brother, her stomach churning when she thought about how desperate and miserable Marius had been when she had seen him last - nearly four years ago, when he had been kicked out for being a Squib.

Charlus immediately regretted his question and was about to change the conversation, not wanting this date to be ruined as well, if only by their words. However, Euphemia seemed willing to answer even though she was holding extremely tightly onto the napkin on her lap, fidgeting with it and twisting the fabric into tight knots in order to keep her hands busy.

"I guess I try not to think about him or speak about him because it helps ease the pain. If I'm constantly thinking about him, I just become sad because he was treated so unfairly and my little brother was ripped away from me. Whereas if I block him out, I can focus on the happier things in life," Mia reached forward and squeezed Charlus' hand on the last words.

"Where is he now, do you know?" Charlus questioned carefully, watching her anxiously in case she became upset again but Euphemia smiled at his question, looking slightly more relaxed than she had before, "He's living with my cousin, Alphard. Alphard is Walburga's brother but he always had a soft spot for my brother," she told him.

At that moment, a waitress came over with their afternoon tea that they had ordered and placed the sandwich platter and cake holder on the table with a clunk, putting their cups and saucers down in front of them, which prompted Mia to utter a polite thank you whilst Charlus simply nodded his gratitude.

"I bet I'm a better tea drinker than you," Euphemia challenged her boyfriend with a smirk, glad that the arrival of the food had brought an end to the conversation about siblings because it had made her feel rather melancholy.

Charlus raised an eyebrow in amusement, "So, it's some kind of challenge?" he asked with a grin wavering on his lips, his hazel eyes twinkling with mischief as Mia narrowed her eyes at him, "Mate, I'm obviously going to win. I was trained in tea drinking, for Merlin's sake," she told him with a smug smile on her face.