murder on my mind

yasmin

"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You'll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

When I was younger and scared of the monsters in closet, my mother would sing that to me until I fell asleep. Or when I fell and scraped my knee, rocking me in her arms as I cried, she'd sing it.

Somewhere along the line, I wasn't her sunshine anymore. In fact I took it away from her. She'd never feel the light of the sun again thanks to her daughter. Her only daughter.

What the fuck have I done?

"Baby, you okay?" Melo's voice brought me back to reality. I looked up  from my glass to see a few pairs of expectant and somewhat concerned eyes on me.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I turned my attention back to Melo's grandmother, Noni. She was saying sum to me before I blanked out.

We were at dinner out in LA with the whole family tonight. Lonzo decided he'd ask Kenya to marry him today. She didn't know, but the rest of us did. It was all of us.

"Oh hun, I was just saying you looked gorgeous tonight."

"Aw thanks Noni, so do you." I smiled back at her.

Noni was sweet. Her and her husband, Robert, were always at the ball estate, tending to Tina when Lavar couldn't and even when he could.

"Oh stop!" she looked around before making sure Kenya wasn't paying attention before leaning in closer from across the table, "Can you believe how fast those two are moving?" she referred to Lonzo and Kenya.

"Honestly no." I whispered back, with a slight laugh.

"God, my bets were on you and Melo. But Rob thinks they'll be the ones to give us our next great grand baby." Melo chocked on his drink as the words left her mouth.

"Mom!" Tina laughed.

"Noni, they're eighteen for God's sake." Lavar shook his head, laughing too.

I don't know how we got stuck on this side of the table.

"Perfect time. I'm only getting older. I was 19 when I got pregnant " she shrugged.

"Honey, it's a different time." her husband tried to explain.

"I mean are you guys trying or anything?" she disregarded her husband completely.

"Ight, subject change." Melo shook his head, his cheeks were tinted red. I laughed.

"What about you guys?" Noni turned to Gelo and Jaden who sat beside Melo and I.

"God no." Jaden wasted no time answering.

As they continued to talk my eyes shifted to the other side of the table.

Melo sat beside me and next to him sat Dream and Hakeem. While Dream looked to Keem, he seemed to be more interested in what sat across from him, or rather who. Carolina. Carolina however, payed him no mind as conversed with Armani who sat to her left.