The Bracelet

Richie woke Eddie up early the next morning, watching as Eddie blinked the sleep from his eyes.

"What time is it?" he asked quietly, sitting up and looking around the room. None of the other losers were in sight.

"It's eight," Richie responded, gently running his thumb over Eddie's cheek. Over the mark that his mother had made just two days before.

"Why are we up?" Eddie asked, his voice scratchy from lack of sleep. He knew deep down that they woke up early because of something to do with his mother, but he really didn't want to go. He didn't want to face her again.

Richie saw the scared look on Eddie's face and gently pulled him into his lap, so they were facing each other. "It's just to meet with the social workers. They need to ask some questions about your mom and to tell you about the court case," he said, leaning his forehead against Eddie's.

Eddie didn't know much about court cases or testifying, but he did know it was a way to protect him from Sonia.

"I'm scared," Eddie whispered, his eyes meeting Richie's. "Are you going to come with me?"

Richie pressed his lips to Eddie's forehead, then both of his cheeks, making Eddie giggle. "I'll be there, but they might want to talk to you alone. Don't worry, baby. Nothing bad will happen," he said with a smile, picking Eddie up and setting him on the edge of the bed.

He tossed him a pair of Bill's old jeans and a nice T-shirt. Eddie furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, so Richie informed him that it was a more professional look than sweats and a sweatshirt.

They walked downstairs where all of the other losers were. They were all half asleep, except for Mike who was making pancakes, and Ben who was setting the table.

When they saw Eddie, Bev immediately sat up and went over to him, embracing him in a gentle hug, should there be any cuts. "Good morning cutie!" she said enthusiastically, trying to chase away his worries.

Eddie giggled, hugging Bev back. "Good morning," he mumbled.

"Pa-pancakes are on th-the stove," Bill said, pointing. "Eat as m-much as you wa-want. It's going t-to be a l-long day."

Eddie nodded, but didn't say anything. His nerves were already making him resort back to silence, even though he knew he needed to talk to the social workers. Richie noticed too, so he grabbed a plate for Eddie and stacked it with food, knowing that Eddie would be too polite to eat as much as he wanted.

Eddie smiled in thanks, quickly taking the plate and eating almost without chewing. He was starving and missed eating good food, even if he had only been gone for a day.

"I need to go to my house and grab something," Richie told Eddie as he was finished his meal. Eddie gave him a panicked look, but Richie easily calmed him down. "Hey, it's okay. Bev and Stan said they'd ride with you. Bill's parents are gonna drive you."

Eddie reluctantly sighed and nodded, bringing his plate to the sink. Bill told him to go relax and got started on the dishes, so he walked to the table. He didn't sit down for long, as Bev took his hand and pulled him to the living room, claiming they needed to talk.

Eddie sat silently, while Bev's expression stayed naturally unreadable.

"It's going to be okay, you know?" Bev said, a reassuring smile on her face.

"I don't want to talk to them," Eddie responded in a quiet voice.

"I know..." Bev thought hard, trying to find a way to help Eddie be confident enough to speak. If he didn't, his mother might win some form of custody or visitation.

Suddenly Bev stood up, a smile on her face, and ran to the phone. She dialed a number and spoke rapidly. Eddie didn't get the chance to overhear. When she returned, she grabbed Eddie's hand, telling him it was time to leave.

Stan and Bev sat on either side of Eddie in the car while Zack and Sharon made small talk with Stan and Bev. They had been told by all of the teenagers that Eddie didn't talk when he got scared or upset, so they didn't try to make him. He'd have to talk later, so he needed time to himself.

When they arrived at the meeting point, Eddie realized and was grateful it wasn't the police station. He had thought he'd have to be in the same building as his mother. Thankfully, they were at a small business building, and Richie was standing out front, waiting patiently. He handed a small box to Bev before walking over to embrace Eddie.

Stan and Bev waited with Zack in the car while Sharon escorted Richie and Eddie inside. She talked with the lady at the front desk while Eddie and Richie stood behind her, Eddie holding Richie's hand tightly.

"I have something for you," Richie whispered, startling Eddie for a second before he calmed down.

"What?" Eddie asked, looking up at Richie who was digging through his pockets.

Richie pulled out a black bracelet, with different colored beads on the end parts. "Bev made them when we formed the losers club. Each bead represents a different member, and the actual bracelet shows whose it is. It's for good luck," Richie said, taking Eddie's hand and pulling the bracelet on his wrist.

Eddie touched it gently, seeing the different colored beads and knowing instantly who they represented. "It's pretty," he whispered, rolling one of the beads in his fingers around the string.

Richie put an arm around Eddie's shoulders, pulling him closer. "Think of it as protection. No one can hurt you while you wear it, okay?"

Eddie nodded, then turned his attention to the same man and woman from the night before walking out from down a hallway.

"Edward Kaspbrack, correct?" the lady asked softly, watching as Eddie scooted closer to Richie.

"It's Eddie," he said in a small voice, hoping that the lady wouldn't get annoyed.

Thankfully, she smiled. "Eddie it is then," she said, beckoning him and Richie forward. They walked down the hallway to a door where they stepped inside.