55. the long dark night

trigger warning; this chapter contains mentions of sexual assault and extreme violence

QUINN

     DARKNESS HAD FALLEN WHEN JOE CALLED FOR them to stop and take a break. Quinn, however, ignored his command and kept on continuing her way along the tracks. No matter what Daryl said, they didn't need these men, and with a possible safe haven within their reach, she wasn't planning on stopping anytime soon.

Some strange feeling in the pit of her stomach told her she had to go to Terminus, that her brother would be there waiting for her. She couldn't stop, not now that she had a goal.

A large hand suddenly landed on her shoulder and pulled her back. She turned around swiftly, standing eye to eye with Daryl, who narrowed at her.

'What?' She asked the man.

His gaze became dark at her words, he clearly wasn't in a mood for games. 'What're you doin'?'

She had expected that question and practised what she would say but was unable to come up with any sane sounding answer. Sighing deeply she decided to just tell him, no matter what he'd think of her. 'If my brother survived the attack on the prison and he stumbled across one of those signs, he'd go there.' She took a deep breath. 'He'd believe it was real, I know he would.'

Daryl didn't answer right away, instead let his usual silence settle in. And just as she was about to defend herself, he opened his mouth. 'That's a lotta "ifs".'

Nodding slowly she turned her gaze to her hands, which seemed awfully pale in the moonlight that shone through the trees. 'I know,' she finally said. 'But it's the only thing I've got.' Looking away from her hands, her gaze settled on Daryl once again. 'We lost Beth and have no lead on her. This could be the lead to find my brother.'

His blue eyes studied her, as if trying to read her very mind. It made her nervous whenever he'd look at her like that but this time she didn't look away. She wanted him to know how important this was to her, that she truly believed in this idea, even though they knew nothing about this Terminus place.

'You gonna walk all them damn tracks in the dark?' He questioned, and his lack of trust in her abilities angered her.

'Thanks for the vote of confidence,' she snapped, taking a step away from him, turning around and starting to walk again. She wasn't going to wait around for the tension with this group to break, especially not now that she knew about Terminus.