Chapter 5: The next few months

The next few months, Su Chen tried her best to win his heart by being an exemplary consort. She was now a well-respected head of the residence. Through her curt but just ways, she has successfully removed the spies in the courtyard and the corrupt stewards in the residence. She made the lives of the servants better by providing better benefits, warm winter clothing, healthy and delicious meals and fair ways to be promoted.

The concubines and tongfangs proved to be a bit tricky. But Su Chen realised that the women were easy to sooth. Jewelry, beautiful clothing and respectful servants that catered to their vanity ensured that the women were kept comfortable in their courtyard. It also helped that the women knew that the Princess Consort was unfavoured. So they turned their canons to each other. As long as the women did not kill each other, Su Chen let them be.

Happy servants and happy women, life was actually pretty peaceful in Ninth Prince's Residence for once.

The servants that were used to starving and living in the cold servant quarters were grateful to the new Wang Fei for their cosy environment.

The weaker concubines and tongfangs who were rarely visited by the prince appreciated Su Chen's friendly and just manner. They no longer feared being treated unfairly and were living decently. In fact, they took it upon themselves to help their Madam by foiling any plans from the more malicious concubines such as Concubine Liu who intended to hurt and embarrass Su Chen. All these, Su Chen was unaware of as she focused on her next plan.

Su Chen then moved on from the matters of the Ninth Prince's residence to the many businesses owned by the Ninth Prince.

Despite not being doted on at home, Su Chen had been taught by respectable tutors as the eldest daughter of the family. Concubine Mu did not stop her but in fact, only requested that her daughter, Su Li be given the same privileges.

Su Chen does have knowledge on business but to actually lead the few businesses that were making a loss, Su Li lacked business acumen that came from experience.

Hence, she decided to recruit people who actually were good in such matters.

She was swindled a few times before finding Yun Yang. An orphan, he met Su Chen when Su Chen caught him trying to steal her purse.  Never underestimate a woman who was swindled and robbed several times. She will develop an acute smell for robbers and a distaste for criminals.

After a few "pleasant" interrogatio-- I mean, interviews with the young Yun Yang, he came out of the room a reliable and promising young man.

His street smarts allowed him to redevelop the businesses to become respectable establishments of society once more. No one would have thought that the dashing and promising Steward Yun would have such an infamous past. In fact, it was only in the occasional twitch of his eyes, and glazed look when he stared at Su Chen that would remind those around him of his sordid past.

Su Chen was sure that Sun Rui would take notice of her efforts. Even if it was out of sympathy, at least he would not divorce her at the end.

Surely, through their years together, he will come to love her.