54. An awful boyfriend

Trevor's pov:

I hadn't talked to my mom about my plans to enlist since that night I got back from the beach. My dad said that she needed time so I gave that to her. But I was hoping that sometime soon she would be ready to talk. I wanted to know how she was feeling about all this. I was sick of just avoiding the topic at all costs.

The door to my apartment swung open catching me by surprise. Both my parents were supposed to be at work so I wasn't expecting anyone to be home yet.

"Mom? What are you doing home?" I gave her a questioning look as she walked up to me and wrapped me in a hug.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I'm just on my lunch break and thought I'd come and see you." She sat at the kitchen counter.

"Is there any specific reason you came home?" I pressed.

This wasn't like my mom, I was starting to get suspicious.

"I wanted to talk to you, just the two of us."

I took the seat next to her. I hoped this was about me joining the army. I wanted to have this conversation so badly.

"What about?" I questioned.

"Trevor I want you to know that I support you no matter what. There is almost nothing that you could do that would change my mind. Maybe if you became like a mass murderer or something I'd have to rethink my support but other than that I will stand by you. As much as it hurts me to think about you joining the army it's only because I love you. I am scared but don't let my fear of losing you affect what you want to do with your life." She reaches out a squeezed my hand.

I felt the weight get lifted off my shoulders. I wanted nothing more than to have my moms support. I wanted to hear her say that she's ok with this path. I couldn't be the one to destroy her.

"I just want to make sure you're going to be ok if I do this." I told her.

"Don't worry about me Trevor. Your mom is a lot tougher than she looks." She chuckled.

"Oh trust me I know." I reached out and pulled her into a hug.

I was so glad that she was my mom. I had really lucked out with the parents I got.

After my mom went back to work I decided to take a shower, get myself looking presentable and then hang out with Zach for the rest of the afternoon. I've been spending a lot of time on his couch lately.

My phone went off as I was about to hop in the shower. I checked the screen but didn't recognize the number. I put it back on the counter and turned the water on. When I spun around I saw my phone still ringing.

I don't know why but I grabbed it and hit the green button.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Trevor?"

I recognized the voice immediately, it was Jackson. I thought back to when the last time I talked to Ella was.

It was yesterday I think, or maybe the day before that? I cursed when I realized how awful I had been lately. I was so focused on myself that I had been an awful boyfriend. She hadn't texted me either but I should have reached out to make sure she was ok.

"Yeah what's going on?" I asked.

I was nervous. What was going on? I knew that Jackson wouldn't call unless something was wrong. He didn't seem like he particularly liked me.

"I need you to come over. She won't talk to me and she won't get out of her bed. I don't know what else to do."

"Wait what?" I was beyond confused as to what was happening.

"When was the last time you talked to her?" He questioned.

"A couple days ago, why?" I reached over and turned the water off.

"Did she tell you about the family dinner?" He asked.

She hadn't.

"I'll be over in like five minutes." I told him and hung up.

There was something going on and Ella hadn't told me. I wanted to be hurt that she felt like she couldn't talk to me but this wasn't about me. I had to be there for her. I had been a shitty boyfriend these past couple days and I hadn't reached out. This was on me, not her.

I quickly got ready and ran out the door. I was going to be the guy she needed me to be. I was going to be better.

When I got to her house I knocked once before Jackson threw the door open.

"What's going on?" I asked him and walked into the house.

"Our parents are separating. I thought she would have told you but apparently not. I don't know what to do."

"She's in her room?" I asked.

He nodded and I was headed up the stairs without a second thought.

I should have done this earlier. I shouldn't have had to wait until her brother called me. I should have checked in on her when I hadn't heard from her in awhile. It had been two days and I hadn't even thought anything of it. I just assumed we were both busy.

I knocked on her bedroom door. There was silence on the other end and I pushed it open.

She was laid out on her bed. A blanket wrapped tightly around her and her laptop in front of her.

"Whatcha watching?" I questioned and laid down beside her.

"Tangled." She replied.

I looked at the screen and watched with her.

I didn't say anything to her about her parents, I just laid there and wrapped my arms around her. I wanted her to know I was here for her but I didn't want to try and push her to talk about things she wasn't ready to share.

"I missed you." She muttered.

I think my heart broke when she said those words. She needed me and I wasn't there.

"I'm sorry, I should have been here."

"Don't apologize you're here now."

I just held onto her. I was here now I wanted her to know that I wasn't going anywhere. I'd be here for her as long as she needed me.

A/n:

I'm doing just Wednesday uploads until I finish writing the chapters I need to for this story. I'm being the worst but I'm trying to do better.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote.

-Cora Leigh