Chapter 3- Anger and Resentment

Shaurya walked up to the sliding doors leading to the balcony of his penthouse. He stepped outside, barefoot, the floor still wet from the rain earlier. It had finally stopped pouring. The rain left behind it the refreshing monsoon breeze along with the soft subtle scent of the wet soil. Leaning against the railing of his balcony, he soaked in the aftermath of the rain.

A small smile appeared on his face as he watched a few children from the street release a paper boat into the nearby pothole that was filled with rainwater. While adults like himself will see the pothole as a significant inconvenience, the children saw it as an opportunity to have fun.

He heard Lucky call out his name and knock on his bedroom door, but he ignored him and focused on the way the breeze felt on his skin.

Shabby uniform, tousled hair, and worn out shoes. A 15 year old Shaurya stood in front of the class at St. Thomas high school in Dehradun.

"Class, I would like you all to meet your new classmate. Shaurya Gupta." The teacher had said.

Some clapped with genuine enthusiasm, some snickered and laughed at his attire, while some just sat quietly. He hadn't bothered to look up. He didn't want to be here. This school wasn't for people like him, and he knew that he would always stick out like a sore thumb.

"Have a seat beside Dhvani." She instructed.

He finally looked up to see where he was supposed to sit.

A bespectacled young girl had her hand raised in the air for him so he could spot her. She wore a uniform similar to his, but hers were much more cleaner and probably her own. Unlike his uniform which his father had gotten from the son of the man, he worked for.

He dragged his feet and slumped into the seat beside the girl that had raised her hand.

She gave him a small smile as she moved her books to make room for his books on the desk.

"Open your social studies textbook to page 25." The teacher demanded. Not waiting to see if her instructions were being followed, she began reading from the textbook.

He didn't have a textbook. The principal had said they would give him one as soon as they found a donated one. So, he watched the ink stain on the desk, not being able to follow along.

A book suddenly covered the ink stain - a social studies book, which belonged to the girl that was sitting beside him.

With a smile, she pushed the book more to him and scooted over so they could share.

A loud howl from the opposite side of the door made Shaurya roll his eyes. He wiped his feet on the mat and walked over to the bedroom door to open it. Lucky was sitting on the floor holding his shoulder and groaning.

"What the hell were you trying to do?" Shaurya asked as he stepped over Lucky, who was still crying in pain, to go to the kitchen.

"I was trying to break the door open. Like in the movies because you weren't replying." Lucky said and slowly getting off the floor to slowly follow him.

Shaurya scoffed. "That was a stupid move."

"Yes. Again forgive me for thinking about your wellbeing, douchebag." Lucky said as he watched Shaurya rummage through the kitchen.