XVI.

"i do not want her to remember." her grams spoke to the two men. "it was hard enough controlling that thirst for power before, but now that she's gotten a taste of just how far her abilities can go? she'd become everything i've been trying to keep her from becoming."

"she's a siphoner. there's no way to compel her to forget." the man in the suit spoke up. jocelyn hadn't recognized the voice when she was a mere child.

"she's a siphoner, exactly. i found a way to weaken her when needed, perhaps if we use enough, she'll be weak enough to compel. i don't want my baby to lose her way because of this. she was doing good. she is good. i'll do whatever i have to do to protect that."

"that darkness that surrounds her— the one you're trying so desperately to keep from her; it's going to take over one day." the other man said to the woman. "you're going to make her think there's something wrong with her when she should be embracing it, learning how to control those demons rather than letting them control her."

"you will not come into my home and tell me what to do with my granddaughter. not after what she and my daughter did for you." grams snapped at the man. "i can see you're interested in her abilities, but you will not come back here."

"who's to say when she finally gives into that dark side of herself, she won't come running to me?"

"she won't." grams replied shortly. "because she won't know who either of you are or what you are or anything in that world besides the abilities she carries."

jocelyn watched the man and her grams bicker back and forth from the staircase, making sure she stayed hidden. nightmares were beginning to haunt her sleep. she just wanted her mom.

the man in the suit glanced over, being able to hear the child's heartbeat speed up immensely. he walked over to the staircase, his hands up in surrender towards the child. his brother and the woman were too into their disagreement to notice.

"you should be asleep, little one." elijah spoke softly to the child.

"i had a bad dream." jocelyn mumbled, pulling at the hem of her pajama shirt.

"can i ask what it was about?" the man took a seat on the stair close to her.

jocelyn nodded her head slowly, letting out a deep breath. "that man that tried to hurt my mama and the gilbert's, he— he was chasing me. he was really fast and caught me" jocelyn shook her head as tears brimmed her eyes. "i woke up before he could bite me."

"you're safe from that monster, sweetheart." elijah sent the child a reassuring smile. "he'll never be able to get to you again. my brother and i will make sure of it."

"you promise?" jocelyn put her pinky towards the man.

elijah grinned, wrapping his pinky around the child's small one. "always and forever."

☾ °☆ . * ● ¸ . ★

"odessa." klaus whispered, pressing her limp hand to his cheek. anger peaked in the hybrid the longer he stared at her limp body. it was making him remember the night he watched her die right in front of him. "i cant lose you."