Chapter 13

Okeh, two times in one night! Thank you guys sooooo much again. I'm totally thankful and lucky to have such ahh-mazing fans(:

Comment, Vote, Fan, Smile<33

_________________________________________________________________

I screamed and screamed and screamed. It was a high, keen sound. So sharp it sliced through every sense. Within a minute Cain was up and holding me close, trying to pry the paper from my fingers. My voice died away, morphing into sobs. I refused to let go of the paper and Cain was holding me tighter now, muffling my sobs through his chest. I looked at the paper again and wailed louder.
Staring up at me was a picture of Casey and I, glued to the wrinkled sheet of paper. We were asleep and in this house. I saw the outline of Cain next to me and Jake's outline in the recliner behind Case. Smeared along the bottom of the paper were the red-lipsticked words 'Found You.'
If I thought I was scared before, it seemed laughable. I heard footsteps rushing down the stairs and our door flew open.
"What happened?" Casey asked in a frantic voice. My wails didn't falter and I clutched the paper tighter to me.
"Jake, get Casey out of here now. NOW!" Cain commanded, in a controlled tone. The door shut. I heard my own cries of despair and desperately tried to pull myself together. Every time I thought of the pictures my sobs grew stronger. They over-took my body and I dropped to the ground, curling up into a ball. Cain dropped down next to me without hesitation.
He covered my body with his. I calmed my bawling just enough to hear Casey whimpering outside the door. Jake was trying to keep her away but, her protests were growing louder. "That's my sister!" At her voice, I lost control again. I knew now this fear was real. The terror was gnawing on my insides, spilling them everywhere. I shut a steel gate around my emotions and took a few minutes to fully fix myself. Cain moved from over me and stood.
His green eyes showed surprise then sadness at my expression. I put a mask on, nothing showing. The mask I used to always have before he came around.
"Jake, let my sister in." The door was flung open and Casey came bursting through. She looked around before her eyes rested on me. Cain's ever-present gaze never faltered, I could feel it. She seemed confused. The only evidence I had been bawling like a monster were the red rims around my eyes. She took one look at my face and fright fully settled in. Her eyes dropped to my paper as if asking what it was.
I swallowed a sob in my throat, I'm sure it showed on my face. Cain looked hopeful before I smothered my emotions again. Casey came and stood next to me, I let one arm drop and held her hand tightly. Cain maneuvered around so he was standing next to Jake, both of them in the same stance. Arms crossed over their chests, waiting for answers.
"Leave." I demanded. It wasn't a question. Cain flinched at my emotion-less tone and I winced internally. He just saw how I lost control horribly and now I was almost robotic. They left without another word. I turned to Casey and sighed, tears springing up.
"Case, Hun. I love you and...." I couldn't finish.
"Let me see it, Kat." My hand didn't move. Instead I tugged her over and sat her on the bed. I pulled the paper away from my chest, letting her see. Her hand went up to her mouth and her blue eyes focused. I heard a heart wrenching cry escape her mouth. I pulled her closer to me and let her cry. We sat there for about an hour. Crying and soothing.
"He's coming for us." She pointed out, wiping her eyes. I sighed again. She was right, though. He wanted us frightened, the bastard. He obviously liked it when we were scared. Still blames us for Mom's disappearance. Funny how love can make a person turn so horrible and heartless.
"What do we do?" Casey asked, looking up at me. I rolled my neck back to stare at the ceiling. A question for the ages.
"Maybe we should ignore it." I said, sure of my answer. It was wrong, of course. We both knew that. It didn't seem to matter though, it gave us both a sense of safety. Like we knew what we were doing even though we were completely clueless.
"Ready?" I asked, heading towards the door. I shoved everything down, letting Cain take over my thoughts. I opened the door to see both boys standing there, awkwardly. Like ice, Cain melted when he saw me. I gave him a smile and took his hand, intertwining our fingers. My strides were long and calculated. Making me seem more calm than I was.
"Let's go to the beach." I offered. Cain looked confused before smiling. "Sure."
We all changed and piled into the car, arriving in minutes. The sun was still high in the sky, the beach was nearly empty. Smart people would be at home in this supposed 'cold weather'. Good thing I wasn't smart. Since it was too cold to swim we all ran around the beach soaking the the perfect climate. The warm sun contradicted the cold breeze in the best way. The news said it was going to be one of the last warm days this year.
Every one of us kicked the sand around, laid out, and played tag. By the time the sun started to set, we were all tired and beginning to get cold.
The drive home was just as quick. I hesitated at the door, fear almost swallowing me whole. Cain brushed by me, dark hair windblown, and pushed the open. He walked into every room and called clear, before I finally managed to shuffle my feet through the door. Everyone took a turn in the shower then we all settled down to a movie after a delicious pizza. I snuggled into Cain's chest and Jake sat on the floor, his head against Casey's knee, holding her hand.
How perfect. I was thinking about how nice this moment was, when unwanted thoughts invaded. Thoughts of Dad and his psychotic ways. I'm surprised Cain didn't ask us to go to the police yet. I was thinking about it. Maybe it was time. After years of abuse... No. We didn't have any proof.
What of dad? No one knows where he lives. No one even knows how Dad got to be so creepy. It's escalated I guess. He couldn't let us get away scott free? Of course not. I mean really, doesn't this man have anything better to do? Come on, can-
"Kat? Ready for bed?" I jerked slightly and looked around. Jake and Casey were sleeping, Jake had moved to sit next to her and she was slumped over in his lap. I turned to Cain, realizing how dark it was as he shut off the t.v. Terror placed itself at the center of my mind. Cain, suspecting my distress, took my hand firmly in his, winding our fingers around each other. The dark room seemed less frightening as the fear ebbed away.
We worked our way upstairs and I fell to the bed, exhausted. Cain crawled up in next to me, putting our foreheads together. The light was bright in his green eyes and I felt myself getting lost.
"How do you think he got in?" Cain asked, out of nowhere.
"Maybe he's a ninja." I said, half asleep. I had a sloppy, half smile on my face. Cain let out a laugh.
"Tomorrow were getting an alarm system, okay?" He asked.
"Sure, Sure." I agreed, eager for sleep. He pressed his lips to mine firmly and that woke me up. I responded easily, running my hands through his dark hair. His hand cupped my face, deepening the kiss.
I pulled away to breathe. Cain gave a breathless smile and flipped over, his back to me.
"Goodnight!" He called over his shoulder. What?! That's messed up. I flicked him in the ear.
"Not cool, Masters." I rolled over in a huff. I felt his weight shift and his arm was suddenly around my waist. He gave a breathy chuckle in my ear, sending tingles and goosebumps over my skin.
"You know you love it." He said in a low, deep voice, before snuggling his head into the back of my neck.

He had no idea.