1.3.43: Trial (IV)

The lawyer wanted a coffee to soothe her headache. She had only been hired for one person, but they've turned against themselves and she was stuck defending the granddaughter of the Kang family. If she succeeded, then she would be blessed with fortune. However, with such circumstances, it seemed impossible and highly possible that she would fail. Who knew what the Kang family would do next?

Everyone was intrigued as the former orderly courtroom had turned into a live-action soap opera of who blames who. Was there more proof behind Ling Qiu's claims?

"Those hallucinations drugs...  what were they for?" Jing Hao teasingly whispered in the ears of Kang Yiyi. "Princess, it seems like you've gotten yourself in quite a sticky situation." As much as Kang Yiyi wanted to punch him in his face for his smug look, she noticed Zhou Feng looking at her like everyone else. She looked flustered and didn't know what to do.

Inconspicuously, she whispered, "Help me or else."

"Or else?" Jing Hao repeated her words, mockingly, "I wonder what will happen?"

"Don't play dumb, I still hold that thing! You better help me cover this up." She whispered frustratedly. She widened her eyes and covered her mouth. Now, her only solution was her grandfather who doted and loved her.

The judge didn't need any more proof. He sentenced them both to fifteen years of prison for murder and they were taken away.

Kang Yiyi pushed away the person trying to usher her and look fervently in the direction of Zhou Feng. Seeing his cold and uncaring eyes, she finally broke down. She had done so many things just so he could reciprocate her love; however, it was all taken for granted. One look from him and she snapped out of her delusion of so many years. How she regretted it. Unable to sustain her emotions, she silently cried for the youth she had wasted on someone who didn't even want it.

Xiao Yunhua didn't pity the woman who had tried to murder her and frame her for murder. What she did pity the woman for was the love she never had returned. The love that created a mockery out of her. It reminded her of herself. She looked at Kang Yiyi and their eyes met. No longer were the haughty eyes of a spoiled heiress, but the eyes of someone who had finally understood a bitter truth. Kang Yiyi expected contempt from the woman she hated but she was stunned to see something she hated more: pity. She narrowed her eyes and opened her mouth to say something, but she only sighed and lowered her head. She would remember this humiliation when her grandfather gets her out.

Xiao Yunhua was deemed innocent and she clutched onto the arm of Zhou Ming unknowingly. They walked to the Zhou family and she noticed Zhou Yaoyao shooting daggers at her with her eyes and Zhou Eldress looking at her expressionlessly, deep in thought. Zhou Elder didn't even bother to glance at her and motioned for Zhou Lu to follow him out. The brother apologetically shrugged and smiled, waving adieu to the couple. They were followed by Zhou Eldress and her daughter, along with Zhou Yaoyao.

Zhou Feng tried to talk to her but was stopped by Zhou Ming. As for Zhou Lang, he had left the moment he realized that Xiao Yunhua wasn't going to be implicated.

When Xiao Yunhua and Zhou Ming left the building, they walked quietly to his car and he drove in a silent atmosphere.

Finally, she spoke and broke the stillness, "Thank you." Two words and they held all the emotions she wanted to convey. He understood and nodded, hence they went back to the quiet drive.

"If I wasn't proved innocent, what would you do?" His answer genuinely intrigued her. Would he uphold his promise of getting her out?

He chuckled and joked, "Break you out, change your name and identity, bribe the judge. Many options." She laughed but something told her that he wasn't joking.

This time, a comfortable silence fell on them as they arrived.