Chapter 6: JJ

July|9th

Currently, JJ's father was driving them to the Riverside Golf and Country club for a meeting with one of his firm's potential partners.

Jeff's boss specifically chose him to go with him on the meeting because his father was the firm's top worker. And the reason JJ was going was that Mr. Jansen thought it would be a good idea to have a sort of father-son thing to impress the partner and lighten the mood a bit. So all three men were bringing their sons along and forcing them to play golf with a bunch of rich people. It..should be fun?

"So, is this gonna be like a business meeting or aaa brunch thing or..?" JJ looked over to his father who simply shrugged, attention on the road.

"I honestly don't know. We'll do a little golfing, a little buttering up along the way. And we are definitely gonna order fancy-pansy rich people food."

"Whatever." JJ shook his head with a grin. "But you've never taught me how to golf so."

JJ's dad smiled shook his head in exasperation. "Oh, how I've failed as a father."

They pulled up underneath the huge structure, getting out as a valet started making his way to the car. They made their way too the outdoor lunching area.

JJ had seen his fathers boss on a few occasions but hadn't recognized the two men sitting at their table. One was an older man with graying hair, around his fathers age, the other a kid around his own.

He was collapsed in his chair, completely absorbed by his phone, glaring over the screen at his dad on some occasions. Oh, if looks could kill.

"Hey, morning. Jeff Reeds, you must be Richard, good to see you man." He smiled and stood, then held his hand out for Jeff to grab.

"You would be correct. You can just call me Rich, nice to meet you." He gestured back to his son then.

"Chris...Chris? Can you say hi or..? I guess not. Sorry for that. Kids," The man shrugged, placing his hands to his hips in thought. Jeff humored him.

"Trust me, I get it. I got 7." Mr. Greenfield scoffed. "Damn do you keep busy."

Uh ew, standing right here man..

"Always," He winked conspiratorially to the man. "This is my son JJ. Best golfer you'll ever meet."

He blinked. "Now why would you lie father?"

"Nice to meet you son." Mr. Greenfield held out a hand which JJ took awkwardly. "Strong grip."

"Dad," Chris finally looked up, not liking something about the contact. He gave his father a look which the man seemed to catch. His smile tightened.

"Look who speaks. I apologize if a young man with manners is a foreign concept to me." He turned, sighing to Jeff helplessly, still having yet to drop JJs hand. "You have a good kid there Jeff."

"Uh..yeah, thank you. Hey, speaking of Conner, have you seen him around or is he not here yet?"

Before Richard could answer his fathers question, a man came running up, panting like he'd just finished a marathon.

"Sorry I'm late fellas, whew, got-a, held up. Just give me a minute.."

"He's not really one for exercise.." A kid in a dark windbreaker and joggers stood a distance away, no doubt the new dudes kid.

Mr. Jansen tried his best to hide the disgust in his face. JJ averted his eyes at the drama although he would be lying if he said he wasn't intrigued.

After a second, he cleared his throat and smiled.