Sorry

"Okay. I think that's everything." Reed said as he looked at the small pile of items tucked into the corner of the stable. He had set aside a saddle, reigns, a rope, and a bag. "It should be easier tomorrow if its all in the same place."

You nodded and turned to him. "Thank you Reed."

He smiled and turned towards the row of stables, "Now. I have to feed the horses. It shouldn't take long though! You can wait somewhere and after we'll figure out all the details for tomorrow."

You nodded silently as you watched him drag sacks of oats and apples down the rows of stalls, pausing and going inside to feed the animals. You heard the sound of running water and a few moments later he reappeared carrying two large buckets of water.

"Are you sure you don't want help?" You asked, standing there awkwardly.

He smiled, "Nope! I do it every morning." He made his way back down the row of stalls.

You silently walked over to where you saw him disappear and saw a small faucet. You glanced back at the child, your brow furrowing.

"Reed? Do you have any towels lying around?"

He stopped and looked up at you, "Yeah! Hold on a second." He walked over to a wall that wasn't in your view. You could hear him opening something and he came back with a small white towel.

He walked over to you, smiling, "Here you go!"

You took it from him and turned the faucet on. He went to walk back, but you grabbed him and pulled him towards you.

"Hey! I have work to do!" He exclaimed as he turned to look at you.

"It can wait." You replied as you dampened the towel and turned him completely towards you.

He winced as the towel came in contact with his cheek, "Ow!"

You gave him a small look of sympathy before going back to cleaning the right side of his face. "I'm sorry, but this need to be cleaned up. Now hold still."

He wrinkled his nose, but stopped fidgeting as you wiped everything away, "But why?"

You stopped, "What do you mean? It can't stay like that. It could get infected."

"But (Y/n), no ones cared about my injuries before."

You glanced at him, "Aren't there people who worry?"

He looked away from you.

You furrowed your brow, "Reed? Don't you have people who care about you?"

He continued to look away. You turned his face towards you.

"Hey. Look at me. I didn't know. I'm so sorry. No child should be working out here alone without people taking care of them."

His eyes widened and you slowly saw tears start to form again.

You looked at him sadly, "Hey. Don't cry. It's okay, you don't have to be alone anymore. I'm here. I always will be." You pulled him into a soft hug.

He nodded silently, wrapping his arms around you tightly.

"My brave knight." You whispered as you smiled into his hair.

He stiffened before he pulled away from you and puffed out his chest, "Okay. I'm ready."

You looked at him surprised, "For what?"

He had a determined look on his face, "The pain. A knight isn't supposed to show their pain and fear! J-Just get it over with!" He squeezed his eyes shut.