56 Favoring Qie Over Wife (56)

Even if Song Jia had installed spy cameras, there was no way she could keep an eye on everyone inside the wangfu. That was why, it was bound to have a few leaks here and there.

Looking at how near this servant girl was standing to the first prince, it seemed that she was a very capable individual.

"It's you...!" Bai Mei Lien shouted.

A mouthful of blood was stuck in Bai Mei Lien's throat, as the fire of another betrayal surged in her chest. She told herself not to be distrustful of people just because of a single Bo Yu, but it seemed that this decision of hers was foolish. Zhao Cheng was surrounded by powerful enemies left and right, to stay by his side, she must be overly cautious of everyone and everything.

Looking at wang fei, who had maidservants that stayed faithful to her, Bai Mei Lien felt deep envy starting to brew in her heart.

Why is everything around Li Jia good, and everything around her bad? Even the man she thought would stay by her side forever, had given her his heart.

Song Jia didn't pay any heed to the sudden shift in Bai Mei Lien's gaze towards her. She saw that the first prince seemed to be waiting for someone, and this kind of semi-circle formation where they put out shields in front of them for all-around defense made Song Jia cry out "Not good!" in her heart.

Song Jia understood Zhao Cheng's character. This kind of man, even if he knows it's a trap, he would still insist to rescue the person that he loves. She could see the glint of arrows from the trees surrounding them, and the numerous traps that must have been lying in wait for him in the forest. Furthermore, the two of them were held as hostages, it was definitely a disadvantageous situation for him.

"Threatening women to become the next monarch, I wonder what the common people would think. Aren't you afraid that divine lightning would strike you down?" Song Jia said loudly in ridicule.

Ancient people were very religious, as they directly believed that the Emperor himself had the blessing of the gods. According to this belief, heaven bestowed its mandate to a just ruler, the Son of Heaven. If the Emperor was morally corrupt, then natural disasters would befell the empire, inciting the rebellion of the people.

"As long as the empire under my reign stays prosperous, who would dare to say a word of protest? You're merely just a woman, what would you understand about politics? Benwang has nine daughters, and none of them brought much fortune to benwang. Threatening women and such...who would remember it after a few days? If Xu Qin Wang Fei has the capability to stay quiet and keep her mouth shut, benwang might even consider taking you in as my noble consort in the future."

Although Bai Mei Lien was more beautiful than Song Jia, there was a certain charm to this wang fei's features that made him unable to look away. Her white dress, her inky-black hair, and those eyes...mmm, it was very much to his taste. And even though he disliked her sharp mouth, it was much better than those timid women in his inner courtyard, always cowering and trembling in front of him.

As he talked, Song Jia slowly untied the rope binding her hands. Who told them not to pay attention to the inconspicuous storage space ring on her finger? A small knife was then whipped out just like that. And because her hands were tied behind his back, besides Buddha, who would know that her hands were already freed?

Never underestimate the coolness of this grandma, ah~

Song Jia pursed her lips and glanced down at her bound feet. Just as she was thinking of various ways on how to cut the ropes without attracting anyone's notice, she heard the sound of approaching hoofbeats.

"Brother Cheng!" Bai Mei Lien cried out, her voice weak with relief.

Song Jia looked up. Contrary to Bai Mei Lien's feelings of happiness, her mood took a turn for the worse. Why did he arrive so quickly? And where did his imperial guards go?

The first prince smirked. It seemed that his plan was going very well.

"Third Imperial Brother, how thoughtful of you to come so quickly."

The black horse came to a stop and its rider dismounted in one fluid movement, striding over without paying attention either to the first prince or the weapons that were pointed at him. The golden dragon robes with its intricate embroidery looked even more regal and imposing underneath the glaring sunlight, giving him a sense of authority and control.

It was only when Zhao Cheng saw for himself that Song Jia was unhurt did he turn his focus on Bai Mei Lien and examined her. Relieved that the two of them suffered no ill treatment, he turned towards his eldest brother and said coldly, "Zhen has no time for your ramblings or listen to your opinions. Zhen knows you did this for a reason, what this reason is, zhen knows better than anyone else. Quickly speak out your terms."

"I want..." The first prince began, then abruptly stopped as his face turned white, then black. How hateful! Just the sound of his commanding voice made him unconsciously comply to his demands, even forgetting to use his own title.

Zhao Cheng raised an eyebrow. "Imperial brother being speechless in front of zhen, does this mean that inside his heart, imperial brother secretly holds zhen in awe?"

His barbed words flew straight and true to its target, embedding deeply in the festering wound that had tortured the first prince since childhood. He could not help but shout out a threat, wanting this talented hateful brother of his to cower for once in front of him, "Zhao Cheng, abdicate your throne, or this woman's life, and your unborn child's life, both will be forfeit under my hands!"

He stormed towards Bai Mei Lien and personally held the sword at her throat. Song Jia couldn't help but wince at his unfairness. What do you take this grandma for, cow dung? Why aren't you threatening him with my life too?

Song Jia aggrievedly thought, Wu, wu, I got ignored~

Zhao Cheng saw Song Jia's small wince and took it as a sign of her fear. His expression greatly changed, "Release them and let them go. Zhen will exchange places with them and voluntarily become your hostage."