Measured Reaction (31)

-0454 Military Hours
-Tartarus Base, Mountain Perimeter

Take a breath, feel the dark calm within wash over closed eyelids. The wondrous scent of the mountain breeze is at the very least, one of familiarity.

I open my eyes to the vale beneath me, the peculiar sight, once again sending my imagination flaring like a frenzied shoal of rivershine scuttlers.

The wind drifting lazily through the slope sends a constant chill through my being, like cold fangs latching onto my skin.

To keep myself from succumbing to the cold shakes, I make sure to keep my arms close to the sides. The Fredgal Alps is higher than I expected, much higher than any mountains I've seen back home.

Each step carries a risk of loose outcrops of rock giving way, a tumble down this high is sure to end in great pain, if not death.

A cautious glance at my battle brothers and sisters beside me is all I need to know they as well feel the need to express their lack of faith in the mountain's eroded surface.

Their concentration to careful footwork prompts my gaze back to the valley beneath, the shuddering black of the Rift the highlight of my vision.

So this is the centre of our mystery...

For all the nimble prowess we possess as scouts, when it comes to the more inquisitive matters of the unknown, we lack the refined art of uncovering and deciphering what is beyond our knowledge.

This quest rightfully belongs to the Inquisitory League, had the war not have taken root with such ferocity.

To pry this fortress open of all its secrets, it will take time... but it can be done. Few people can match an Euralian Scout's keen affinity for details, however subtle it may be.

Much time passes as my cadre traverses down the inner slope whilst I intensely ponder about what my heightened senses have found.

This is unlike prowling behind enemy lines. Taking note of Yhunian Command posts and weaving through their constant patrols is certainly more... normal than this.

"Do you sense it, the untold mysteries?" Oswin mutters, eyes seeking to guard against any perceived dangers from the Human Fortress.

His gaze is to the people strolling about in the organized pavements, lit by the emotionless white of the odd stringed lanterns they seem to prefer.

"I do, there is plenty to uncover here." I will less energy into my eyes, dulling my vision against the beacons of light peppering the valley's gentle decline. The square shaped buildings tower above the few trees that reside in this cradle, each being as flavorless in design as the next, an eyesore to anyone with an affinity for art.

Despite being the centre of my attention, this fortress only occupies a minor portion of the land within the Fredgal Alps, leaving much of the vale shrouded in night's cover.

Human soldiers, clad in their distinct battle armor guard the borders where their white lights give way to darkness, like watchful sentries against any would-be predators or those with less than honorable intentions.

One thing I take note is the manner in which they hold their bulky weapons, they wield it so the end always faces their left side, this could be a hint to these people possessing a military tradition of some kind.

While I would prefer for us to advance closer to the borders of their fortress, the ever present rumble of the aerial construct above made me think otherwise.