Ch. 18

"Dad?"

Tony jerked back, cursing quietly as his hand touched the hot metal. "Kid? What're you doing here? Shouldn't you be in school?"

Peter slid onto the bench beside him, dropping his backpack with a thud. "Yeah, but... I needed a break."

The inventor studied his son's face, noting the bags under his eyes, and decided not to chide him. "Let me call your aunt, yeah? You can stay the night, and Happy can drop you at Midtown tomorrow."

The teen nodded, resting his chin on his arms. "'Kay. Thanks dad."

Tony ruffled the teenager's hair. "Sit tight, and I'll be back in a minute."

"Hello?"

Tony leaned against the wall, sighing heavily. "Hey May. Peter's here with me. I need you to call him in absent at school."

"Tony, you know you can't just pull him out of school whenever you feel like it-"

"I know, May," he interrupted. "I know. But he needs a break. Have you seen him this morning?"

A heavy sigh of defeat greeted him. "No. I was late for work as it is."

"Yeah, well. He's got bags under his eyes the size of China. He's barely awake, and I'm betting that he'll be out when I go back in there."

"Okay. Okay, fine. Just for today. Make sure he sleeps, do NOT spend the day in the lab, Tony. If you do, then I will find you and kill you. I don't care if you're Iron Man. You can bet that won't stop me. Got it?"

"Yeah," he bit back a small laugh. "Loud an' clear, May. Call in, please. I'll see if I can get the kiddo to sleep."

"All right. My boss is watching, so I have to go."

"Okay. Bye."

Peter was, in fact, asleep.

Even Tony shaking his shoulder didn't rouse him, and the man huffed lightly. "Are you going to make me carry you?"

The sleeping teen didn't answer.

"The things I do for you, kid," Tony muttered. "You going to work with me, or be a limp noodle?"

He bent, sliding his arms under the teen's knees and shoulders, smirking slightly as his son mumbled incoherently, and turned his face into his dad's shoulder.

"Go back to sleep, kiddo."

"Mmm. 'Kay."

The elevator was absent of the usual music playing, instead only low humming could be heard from the mechanics.

"Fri, clear my schedule for today."

"Boss, may I remind you that Ms Potts said that your attendance at the 12:00 meeting was imperative for the good of the company?"

"Yup. Clear it."

"Very well boss."

It was 12:15 when Pepper texted him.

Miss Potts: Tony, where are you? I told you that you couldn't skip this meeting!

Tin-man: I'm otherwise occupied, Pep.

Miss Potts: You better not be missing this for no reason.

Tin-man: have a little faith, huh Pep?

Miss Potts: Give me something to go on and I might.

Tin-man: This enough?

{Photo attachment}

Miss Potts: Really, Tony? You can't use him as your excuse every time.

Tin-man: Miss Potts you wound me.

Miss Potts: If you miss another one, I will personally tell Friday to lock down your suits and then I will ground you.

Tin-man: Color me terrified.