seventeen

1 7.

•••

Maybe being in love with my sister's boyfriend was wrong, but I couldn't deny the fuzzy feeling whenever he touched me, or smiled at me.

His lopsided smile, green eyes lighting up whenever he laughed or smiled. I just couldn't get him out of my mind and it was driving me insane.

Insanely in love, the voice in my said to me. It needed a muzzle because it was too loud for my liking.

I didn't think I was in denial anymore — I was scared of what I was feeling for Scott. I pushed that thought aside, and glanced at him.

He was hovering above me under the tree, and I swear I saw the most beautiful man in the world. Scott's hair fell over his forehead giving me a perfect view of his eyes.

We hadn't left our spot under the tree, and I sighed in defeat.

"What's wrong?" he asked softly, brushing the hair out of my face. "Die I say something that must've disturbed you?"

I smiled, and shook my head. "No, not really although you do say shit that disturbs me all the time. But that's not important."

Scott furrowed his eyebrows. "Then what's important?"

Running my hand down my face, I stared into his green eyes. "I don't know. I feel like we're going to be stuck here forever, and I just... I never thought I'd admit this, but I miss home."

He chuckled, his hand reaching out as his thumb caressed my cheekbone. "I know you do, my Squirrel. Don't lose hope, everything will be alright."

And just like that, my doubt vanished into thin air as if it was never present in the first place. I remember when Scott used to make me breakfast in the morning, and left it in front of my door.

Scott flirted with me all the time even when my sister was in our aura. In retrospect, I should've stopped it when it happened and I didn't. Look where that got me.

Averting my gaze to look at my surroundings, there was still a long road ahead of us. I shook my head, and gingerly sat up. Scott moved to sit next to me.

"My back feels like it's about to explode from pain," I complained as I rubbed my lower back. It was not fun sleeping on the floor. "Did anything happen while I was asleep? Oh, nevermind — there's not a soul here besides ours."

Scott smirked, running a hand through his hair. "More like soul-mates yeah?" he chuckled nervously. "Uhm... we're still lost a you can see. I found a few men walking to the bar, and they said there's a farm up ahead."

I groaned, and lied back down to stare up at the sky. "That means we have to keep walking, and at this point I might totally lose it."

He opened his mouth to say something, but I pressed my index finger against his lips to keep him quiet when I heard a rattling noise. I furrowed my eyebrows, and anxiously looked around us for the sound.

I tried to ignore the rattling noise that was getting closer, and I had to voice my thoughts. "What's that sound?"

Scott furrowed his eyebrows, and stood up from his sitting position. "I don't see anything..." he said as he glanced around us. "Zayn," he warned in a low voice that made me snap my head into his direction.