twenty

2 0.

•••

We were walking down the road with Scott's hand around my waist.

"I could get used to this," he commented smiling at me. "Make it a everyday thing."

Turning my head to look at him, I said, "don't count on it, buddy."

He stopped in his tracks, and dropped his hand from my waist. "What?" he asked, furrowing his eyebrows. "Wait, you're telling me we won't be together after we had three magnificent makeout sessions, and the we did the naughty?"

I tried not to laugh at his expression. "Well, clearly you got the wrong idea," I said shrugging my shoulders, and stepped forward leaving him behind.

Scott laughed, and jogged up to me. "Zayn what?" he asked exasperated. "Don't you want this? I thought you wanted this."

He was right. I did want it. But what about the people that loved us? I loved the feeling whenever I was around him, he made me smile, laugh and giddy.

"Listen, I enjoy it as much as you enjoy it, okay?" I said as I sighed. "But now it's time to go home because the station is right there. We can't afford to hurt the people that we love even if we get hurt in the process."

The ache in my heart grew bigger seeing the look on his face. It hurt me to see him like this — sad, and hopeless. We didn't say anything else after that so we kept walking in silence.

I hurt just as much as he did. The moving of heads, and bodies came into view. Sighing with relief as I noticed a row of busses aligned next to each other.

We reached the small window of the bus station, and I turned to look at Scott. "Do you have any money?" I asked, pursing my lips.

He didn't say anything as he tapped the pockets of his jeans, and fished out some dollar bills. I wanted to ask where he got money, but I bit onto my tongue.

Scott held it a few bills between his fingers, slid it under the small glass. The man behind the glass looked bored as he slid our tickets under the glass.

I wanted to say something, but he walked toward the bus. Shaking my head, I followed suit. Once we found our seats at the back of the bus, Scott looked out the window with his face resting on the window.

I took his hand in mine. "I know how you must feel —"

He surprised me by retracting his hand, and whipped his head to look at me. His usual green eyes were now a deeper shade of green — no sparkling whatsoever.

"No, you don't," he said through gritted teeth. "You think it might be fine to play with people's feelings, but it's not. Unfortunately some people feel shit and it hurts, so don't you even fucking dare."

There was a aching in my chest that felt like it was closing in on me, and my tears threatened to spill from my eyes. "Scott... I — I, it's complicated. You have to understand that. I'm scared of hurting my sister like that and... it's just so complicated."

We jolted forward as the bus started to drive down the street. "Well, let me uncomplicate things for you; I love you," he stated, looking deep into my eyes. "And when we arrive at the house, I'm breaking up with Jess whether you like it, or not."