【16】Game Night

A week later, on Saturday evening, Tammy had people coming over for a 'game night'

A week later, on Saturday evening, Tammy had people coming over for a 'game night'. It was Dakota, Jay, Kat, a couple of other people from the office I hadn't met yet, and romantic partners who didn't work with us. Apparently, it was a year-old tradition that occurred once a month, each time hosted by a different person. Tonight, it was at our place. She'd invited me to join in on the fun, and I'd gladly accepted since it would be weird if I hung around without participating.

Everyone was bringing something to eat and drink, but we still had some grocery shopping to do, being perfect hostesses and all. We spent the morning cleaning and putting things in order, and after a simple meal - hashbrown, and ham - we went out to the grocery store two blocks away. We strolled in the well-organized aisles of the store as I pushed our cart, looking for inspiration.

Nachos were a given, so we picked two bags of tortilla chips, shredded cheddar, and what I needed for the guacamole. We then agreed on veggie dips, so we took an assortment of vegetables, and whatever Tammy required for the dipping sauces. Alcohol was much easier to deal with, and we took three packs of beers, a bottle of tequila, and one of vodka.

When we reached the checkout, I offered to pay for the alcohol while she paid for the rest. She agreed, and I took my items out with a cashier while she went for the one next to me.

My cashier, a balding man in his fifties with a pair of round glasses and the blue uniform of the store, scanned my beer packs and bottles, and then gave me a long and thorough look. Oh, no. Please don't...

"ID, please," he asked. There it was... Knowing I couldn't blame the man for his doubts, I took my driver's license out of my wallet, which I was already holding, and handed it to him, not hiding my disappointment. He looked at the card, then me, then the card, and without a single emotion passing through his face, he handed it back to me. I put it away as he gave me the total, and I paid.

When we got home, we both worked in the kitchen. I took care of the guacamole and the nacho cheese, while Tammy peeled and cut the veggies. Once we'd finished, I went to my room to work on my project, and she decided to do her pilates, worried she wouldn't be able to tomorrow. Although I'd said I'd join her, procrastination was my way of life when it came to exercising, so I of course always found something better to do.

By five, I decided to leave my room. Tamika was just done with her shower, so I assumed our guests would arrive shortly. I had changed my flannel shirt for something a little more formal, a black top with long sheer sleeves and tiny velvet dots over them. I didn't change the jeans, though, since we weren't exactly hosting the MET Gala.

As I came out, I heard our bell and saw the intense flashing of lights it sent. A little nervous since I might not know whoever it was, I went to the intercom. As I picked it up, the screen showed me it was Dakota and a brown-haired woman. "Hey, guys," I greeted them before I pushed the button to buzz them in. I unlocked the entrance door, and opened it slightly, before going to the kitchen to make sure everything was ready.