XIX. California

Chapter Nineteen:
Soroya

"When you said you would take me to California for the first time I thought you meant Coachella or Disneyland. Why here?"

T'Challa took us to an abandoned building, which we have been starring at for the past few minutes behind the fence. The three of us are dressed in more Americans clothes, trying to blend in and not draw attention to ourselves. This is especially important since I am still technically a wanted person.

The clothes Shuri bought for me are much like the ones I stole while on the run with Bucky. These are more comfortable though since I could get something my style and more my size. I'm wearing a red baseball cap, a pair of dark jeans, a pair of ankle boots, the bracelet T'Challa bought me, and a shirt that says 'Nobody Puts Baby In A Corner'. Shuri is a good friend and knows me very well. This outfit is perfect.

T'Challa leans against the fence, starring at the building in front of us. "This is where our father killed our uncle."

Shuri and I glance at each other then at the building. "They're tearing it down," Shuri says, her voice more serious now. "Good."

"They're not tearing it down. I bought this building," T'Challa says, gesturing to the building. "And this one, and that one over there." Gesturing the buildings on either side.

T'Challa looks back to Shuri. "This will be the first Wakandan International Outreach Center. Nakia will oversee the social outreach. And you will spearhead the science and information exchange."

Shuri looks like a kid on Christmas. "You're kidding."

"Yeah?" T'Challa says, pressing on one of the Kimoyo Beads on his bracelet. Behind us appears a jet of her very own.

The boys who had been playing basketball near us all stare in awe at the jet, crowding around it and talking about selling the parts and making a shit ton of money. One of the kids approaches T'Challa and I, while Shuri tries to get rid of his friends.

"Is that thing yours? Who are you?" He asks T'Challa.

He and I share a glance. I smile at the little boy. "He's an alien. That's our spaceship."

The kid genuinely seems to believe me, but I just turn back to T'Challa and chuckle. The boy runs over to his friends and exclaims that we're aliens from outer space. The group gasps in wonder.

"She'll be a busy girl with making the transportation route to Jabariland and running things here." I say to him, watching Shuri goggle at her new toy.

"These buildings will take some time to get ready, so in the mean time she'll work on the transportation route. As well as the cure for your Sergeant Barnes."

I push my hair behind my ear, looking back at T'Challa. "You think she can really find something to help him?"

T'Challa wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me close to him. "I don't doubt it for a second."

I smile at him, wrapping my arm around his waist as well, our eyes still on Shuri. "Is there anything you want me to do?"

T'Challa begins to object, but I shake my head at him. "T'Challa I don't want everyday to be filled with peace and quiet. I want to help people, I want to use my abilities for good. Now tell me what I can do to help Wakanda."