XXX. The Battle of Wakanda

Chapter Thirty
Soroya

Steve linked our com channel to the others to stay in contact during the fight. I have to say, it's weird being able to hear the Avengers talking to me in my ear. After that was set up, we boarded these hover crafts to carry us and the armies of Wakanda to the battle field.

Not all of us are in the hover craft however; Sam and Rhodes fly above us and Bruce Banner is wearing what looks like a large iron man suit. He seems to be taking this into battle instead of using his green alter ego.

"How are we looking Bruce?" Natasha asks into her com link. She is in the same hover craft as Bucky, Alex, and I. As is Steve.

We all look over our heads as Banner flies a few yards away, yelling excitedly. "Yeah! I think I'm getting the hang of this. This is amazing, man! It's like being the Hulk without actually—" He trails off, because he trips over a rock and plummets into the dirt.

I see Okoye shoot him a look of annoyance, but he tells us he's fine in the comlink, if not a little less enthusiastically.

"I've got two heat signatures breaking through the tree line." Rhodes says as we all step out of the crafts and onto the field. I had been to this exact part of Wakanda so many times and now it would be turned into a place of carnage and blood. It broke my heart.

Bucky holds my hand the entire time, even as we get into formation, standing in line with the other soldiers. Alex is on my other side, looking around to try and find Khari.

I can't help but stare at the alien ships outside the barrier; how their black paneled walls hold the army Thanos has sent to destroy us all. It's unlike anything I've ever faced. I think I would be insane not to be scared by it. I can tell Alex is too, especially as two of the aliens walk to the edge of the barrier.

From behind us we hear the familiar chanting and grunts of the Jabari. I look over to Alex to see him release a breath of relief. As M'Baku and Khari join us on the front lines, T'Challa turns to them, thanking them for standing beside us. They say something in Xhosa, and thanks to my lessons with Okoye, I think it means: 'of course, brother'.

Wakandan warriors from all tribes cover the field. At the very front center are T'Challa, Steve, M'Baku, Khari, Natasha, Bucky, me, and Alex. If someone had told me a few years ago I would be on the front lines with the Avengers, I would have thought they were crazy. But part of me feels somewhat belonging amongst these people. Not only because they're warriors, but because a lot of them have powers as well. I remember being a young girl when I was trying to control my abilities, feeling like such a freak. But here I am; a freak amongst other freaks.

The two aliens, still standing at the barrier, wait and watch as Steve, T'Challa, and Natasha go to speak with them. While this is happening, Alex moves from my side over to Khari's. I see them join hands just as Bucky and I have.

A loud noise comes from one of the ships. Pretty soon all five of them are rising their top half up, smoke coming from all sides.

Steve, Natasha, and T'Challa make their way back over to us. Bucky, without tearing his eyes away from the ships, asks Steve: "They surrender?"

"Not exactly."

Out of all five ships, comes these horrifying creatures. Their skin is charcoal black with gold lines eteched onto their skin, their four long clawed arms tear at the ground as they rush towards us. Their large mouths with sharp teeth snarl our way. T'Challa begins chanting to his people in Xhosa, all of us left to stare in anticipation and fear as these beasts try to claw their way through the barrier.