Chapter 33

Sidney

I woke up early to Ollie giving me a face full of dog breath kisses, which I wasn't fully enjoying. "Geez O, I love you but you need a doggy breath mint." I huffed as I gently pushed him off and sat up. The only time they woke me was when they needed something or when there was danger about. This time it was the former option since they wanted breakfast, a fact made even clearer by Sassy meowing by the empty food bowls. "Honestly, you act like I starve you guys." I grumbled as I climbed out of the comfy queen sized bed and stretched a bit. I got to work putting out their bowls and filling all of them up with food, deciding to fix the bed as my greedy little pets dug into their breakfast.

 Once they were done eating I headed silently down the stairs to let all three of them outside, making a quick mental note to crack open a window for Sassy to come and go as she pleased. I couldn't help being drawn to the kitchen at the scent of fresh brewed coffee hanging in the air, only to find I wasn't the only one wanting some of the liquid black gold. "Guess I have to get used to not being the only early riser around here." I hummed as Colton jolted slightly, spilling some of his coffee as he spun to face me. "Sh*t." He hissed between his teeth as he put his mug down and shook the hot coffee off his hand.

 "Sorry about that, I didn't intend to startle you but I tend to move pretty quietly." I smiled apologetically to him as I grabbed some napkins from the counter and handed them to him. "It's okay. I didn't think anyone else was up so that added to your little surprise factor." Colton sighed out as he took the napkins and used them to clean up the spill before tossing them in the trash. "Did you sleep okay?" He voiced as he picked up his coffee mug and took a sip, I shrugged to him as I went to fill a mug of my own. "Last night wasn't too bad, I don't tend to sleep that great in general so I can have some wonky sleep cycles sometimes." I sighed out honestly as he frowned at my words, but he decided not to press the subject further.

 "So what are you doing up so early, and dressed rather fancily for this time of the morning too?" I raised with a scan of his sleek blue button up shirt and black slacks. "Work actually, I tend to get up early to do what I can to get a good head start on my cases." He stated before he caught my questioning look. "I'm a lawyer, one of three in the entire area." He sighed out. "And the only wolf one as well." I hummed back, receiving a short snort in response. "Exactly." He stated with a slight shake of his head. "I finished school early and got my law degree. I studied enough to have my degree in the human world but also balance it with the different laws of the wolf." He explains brightly.

 "Pretty impressive if you ask me." I stated as I sipped my coffee with a happy sigh. "Also pretty tasking when you have outside packs asking for your services with their inside issues." Colton murmured as he stared into his mug with a firm frown. "You work outside your territory?" I questioned uncertainly. "Sometimes, I have to actually agree to take the jobs and they can be more complicated or dangerous." He growled out. "I know, outsiders don't often get kind welcomes into other packs territory. Do you always agree to help or do you pick and choose them carefully?" I was curious now and he studied me strangely before continuing.

 "I usually don't take jobs from other packs unless absolutely necessary, there's plenty of work with the people around here that I don't really have to." He stated clearly pleased with that little fact. "Let me guess most of the time it's absolutely necessary to take the job if it involves pack politics and Bowen, right?" I raised as his attention snapped from staring into his mug to his eyes trying to bore their way into my very soul. "You know Sidney you really are remarkably intuitive, I'm not sure if that's good or bad for us." He murmured gently. "Now that would have to depend on how well we learn to get along, I can be a loyal friend or a livid foe." I remarked playfully, to his gentle chuckles.