Chapter 4

Hello! Thank you for all the comments, votes and views.  I get all happy inside knowing that there are people out there that are reading my book. Even having a lot of homework and it was Thanksgiving I had a lot of time to write this chapter. I left it off in a cliff-hanger so I will let you go. Now go read my book. Thanks :)

Thick silence made a home within the room. Roy was lost for words. The thought of taking care of Edward had never once crossed his mind and it almost felt like a joke when the doctor suggested that he should become Edward's parental guardian. However, there was that nagging part within Roy and his thoughts were pulled to the moment where he thought that he might have been a father figure to Edward.

Roy felt bad for Ed for all the crap in his life, losing his father, mother, and then losing his brother. Ed never got to be a child. Now, he couldn't even go out in the sun which meant that he would be stuck in Central.

Ed's life was already covered in darkness, he was trying to get to the light, to make everything right, but now, he was pushed back into the hole that he was so desperately trying to get out of. Roy looked at the doctor and he knew what to say.

"Yes, I will be Edward's guardian."

"That's good to hear. You can go see Edward."

Roy left without saying a word as everything that he needed to know had already said. Roy closed the door and looked up to see that no one was in the hallway and then he walked towards Edward's room.

His heavy footsteps once again bounced off the walls and he could lightly hear his heartbeat in his ears. Roy was nervous as he didn't know what to expect from Edward. The doctor had already said that he would be different.

Would Ed be yelling at Roy to get out or say nice things to him? Before Roy could finish the thought he stopped at the door that led to Edward's room. Roy took a breath and opened the door.

Subconsciously Roy had prepared for yelling and screaming so once the door opened Roy looked at the ground, he can't look at Ed, knowing that he was not there when Edward needed him the most. Roy stood there for a minute, there was no screaming or yelling, there weren't even any words coming out of Edward's mouth.

Roy looked up to see that Edward was once again asleep. Roy walked slowly to Edward's bed. He didn't want to wake the sleeping alchemist. Roy just looked at Edward, that's when the young alchemist's eyes open. Edward turned and looked at Roy.

"Who are you?' Ed whispered.

"I am Roy Mustang, do you remember me?"

There was a long pause before Edward broke the silence.

"Yeah, a little, but not much."

Now, Roy knew why he couldn't tell Al about Ed. Ed was a little confused about who he was and who his friends were. If Al came and Ed remembered only the horrible memories of their past and none of the good ones, Roy didn't know how Edward would react to Al. Roy pulled up a chair to the bed.

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm ok, but still a little confused on somethings."

Ed said with no hesitation, his voice was easier to make out. Ed was now talking louder than a whisper, but not by much. Roy was trying to be nice to him, but it was hard not to make snarky comments about Ed height or how he looks so peaceful.

"What are you confused about?"

"Um... well, I don't remember some things about my past and how I got here. On second thought, I don't know where I am."

Roy lets out a sigh this was going to be harder then he thought.

"First, what do you remember from your past."