Shadow x Scared!Reader

I was laying under the coffee table, trembling hard. A flash of light filled the room followed by a large rumble of thunder. The power had been knocked out almost an hour ago. The thunder shook the house lightly, causing me to let out a small shriek and shut my eyes tight. Ever since I was a little girl, thunderstorms terrified me. The bigger the storm, the more scared I was. I would always hide under something, waiting and screaming for someone to help me. 

The wind was howling outside and I could hear the rain hit the roof. Another rumble of thunder shook the house. I screamed again and covered my head. I started to silently sob, wishing and praying hopelessly for someone to help me. I knew no one was going to come. I never told anyone of my fear, afraid that people would pity or judge me. Suddenly, I heard my front door open and close. I opened my eyes slightly, uncovering my ears. 

"Y/n? Where are you? We were supposed to meet up an hour and a half ago," I heard someone shout.

Before I could shout a response, lightning flashed across the sky outside immediately followed by thunder. I screamed and covered my ears again, shutting my eyes tight. I heard the person shout over the thunder, but I didn't respond. After a few moments of silence, I heard someone enter the kitchen and walk over to the table. I was visibly shaking and I barely had the willpower to stop it. I felt the person grab my arm and I opened my eyes. Shadow stared down at me, confusion and slight annoyance in his eyes.

"What are you doing under the table," Shadow asked, confusion lacing his voice.

"I-I-I-I...I-I-it's...," I stuttered.

More thunder rattled the house, causing me to cover my ears once more. I forced back a scream, causing it to come out as a whimper instead. I looked up at Shadow and saw his expression change from confusion to realization. He carefully looked me over, taking in my shaking frame and terrified state. I closed my eyes, not wanting to see him. After a moment, I felt him gently grab ahold of my wrists and pulled my hands away from my ears. 

"Are...are you afraid of the storm," Shadow asked.

I nodded in response, keeping my eyes shut. He didn't move for a moment, as the wind outside grew stronger. I felt Shadow move his hands to mine, holding them gently.

"Hey, it's okay. I need you to open your eyes for me, okay," he whispered.

I slowly opened my eyes and looked at him. Shadow's features were completely filled with reassurance and comfort. He gently tugged on my hands, pulling me towards.

"I need you to come out from under the table," he whispered.

"N-no, I-I-I-I c-can't, I-I-I--," I stuttered.

"Hey, calm down, you're going to be fine, all right? I want to help you. I can't help you from under there. Please."

I hesitated, but soon nodded and started to crawl out from under the table. I got out from under the table and Shadow helped me stand as I was shaking too hard to stand on my own. A loud boom of thunder sounded over the house. Out of instinct and fear, I jumped and threw myself onto Shadow, wrapping my arms around his waist. He held me to his chest, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I whimpered and whined into his chest, shaking uncontrollably. He gently made us sway in place.

 After a moment, Shadow grabbed my arms and wrapped them around his neck. He crouched slightly, grabbed my legs and picked me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist. Shadow carried me out of the kitchen and upstairs to my room. As he entered my room, another sound of thunder shook the house and I let out a small whimper. I hid my face in his shoulder. Shadow hushed me, rubbing my back as he walked over to my bed. He kneeled onto the bed and crawled to the middle. He gently laid me down, hovering above me. I was still shaking, tears slowly streaming out of my eyes. Shadow laid down next to me after a moment. He looked at me and frowned.

"Why didn't you say anything," he asked.

"I-I-I didn't w-want people to p-p-pity me," I replied.

"It's okay to be afraid of a thunderstorm. It's not okay to deal with it on your own. Next time, tell me about your fears. I can't stand seeing you like this."

I looked at him surprised and felt a blush creep onto my face. Lightning flashed outside, filling the room with light. For a moment, I saw the seriousness in his eyes. Before I could reply, Shadow pulled my close to him and held me there. Thunder rumbled outside a second later and I buried my face into Shadow's chest. I was shaking again, whimpering quietly. Shadow hushed me again and started to say comforting words to calm me down. He would make me look at him to wipe away my tears. 

After laying in my bed for another thirty minutes, the storm continued to rage outside. I was more calm, but would still tense up and shiver at the thunder. Shadow was stroking my (quills/fur), muttering sweet nothings to me. I slowly looked up at him, confusion written on my face. He looked down at me, wiping away more tears when he saw them.

"Wh-why," I asked.

"Why what," Shadow whispered, looking at me confused.

"W-why are you h-helping me? I'm j-just causing you t-t-trouble."

Shadow stared at me, thinking over his answer. He lightly bit his lip, almost giving me a glare. I looked at him confused, waiting for his answer. Before I could question him further, Shadow gently pulled me closer and kissed me. My eyes widened for a moment before slowly closing. I kissed him back, causing him to grin into the kiss. He slowly pulled away a moment later, resting his forehead against mine.

"...Does that answer your question," he asked.

I nodded and closed my eyes. Shadow pulled into me to his chest, entangling our legs together. The rest of the day, we laid there and cuddled. By nightfall, the storm had passed, but we stayed where we were. Now, whenever a storm came in, Shadow was there to help me threw it, whispering sweet nothings in my ear and holding me close to him.