➵ XLI. Overcoming Challenges

Tuesday, February 20th, 2018, 9:00pm

You Say - Lauren Daigle

Asher's POV

"RUN BITCH RUN!"

I look up from the paperwork I'm doing, confused as Zaine's shout echoes through the hallways. Glancing at Raiden, who's helping me with my work, I see he looks just as confused as I am. Confused, but not really surprised, knowing Zaine.

We finished cleaning up the battlefield after two or so hours, and flew back home. I've only been back for a few hours, but there's a lot of pack work that needs to be done.

River, Blake, Nick and Drake are here helping too, their mates somewhere around the pack house with the Royals. Any of the basic work that's mostly the same for all our packs is getting done by them, the other Alphas. They look slightly more confused at the shout, but we all know how Zaine is.

I hear running footsteps of what sound like two people, before Zaine comes running into the meeting room, followed by Killian, both of them looking panicked. They run over and hide behind the long rectangular table, crouching down next to my chair.

"What are you two doing?" I ask, taking in Zaine's different appearance.

He seems to be going for a sort of punk or rebellious look at the moment, a black leather jacket on over a white t-shirt, along with black jeans and combat boots. His dark hair is in a sort of spiked style, and he has those snake bite piercings in his lower lip, along with a couple silver studs in one ear. He has a few small black star tattoos under the corner of one eye, and when he looks at me, mouth open as he pants, I notice he also split his tongue, a split that seems to go quite far back along the muscle.

"Hiding," Killian replies.

"That was obvious," Raiden says, "but from who?"

"Reina and Strange," Zaine says. He pauses, before looking up, "mother, I can feel that judgmental stare! Anyway, Reina and Strange were acting moody, so we may, or may not, have told them to calm down. And apparently it's 'that time of the month,' so now we have a level 5 code PMS-R&S."

"What?" I ask.

"We made up codes for dealing with them during this week of the month," Killian explains. "PMS-R is Reina, Strange is PMS-S, then there's PMS-R&S for both of them, with levels of severity. 'Cause if your not careful during Satan's sacrificial waterfall, you might end up being the sacrifice."

"Yeah, I know the feeling," River says. "Girls at this time can be scary."

"That's another reason why I'm glad I'm gay," Nick says.

"Me too!" Killian and Zaine both add.

Zaine looks at Killian, shoving him lightly, "you're bi, you can't say that."

"But I can say I'm glad you don't get periods," Killian replies.

"Technically I could," Zaine says, scooting back to lean against the wall behind me. "If I stayed in a girl form long enough."

"Please don't," Killian says. He pauses, listening. His eyes light up, probably enhancing his hearing. A few seconds later, his eyes narrow and he gets up, heading for the door. "Alright, that's enough bullshit. I'm going to bash some skulls in, I'll be back later."

Zaine gets up and runs after him, shouting "bashing skulls in is my MO, no stealing!"

They disappear, leaving the rest of us to stare at the door, confused.