not coming back

“Alright, she’s all the way at the top

“Alright, she’s all the way at the top.”

Hailey leaned against the nearest wall as Ben slowly walked up the stairs. They had finally made it to their old home, where they knew Mal was. They usually say coming back home would make your problems seem smaller, but they just grew ten times bigger here.

She ignored the eyes of Carlos as she leaned harder against the wall. She could only imagine how things were going for the two lovers upstairs. Mal was known for her stubbornness, so there was no way she would come back without a fight.

Hailey felt kind of bad. She was so busy with preparing the Cotillion that she didn't realize the serious stress her friend was under. She should have been there for her instead of letting her suffer in silence.

But Mal wasn't one to share her feelings. They could always tell when something was wrong, but they had to pry just to figure out was wrong.

It only took a couple of minutes until Ben came sulking down the stairs. They stood up, waiting for him to tell them what just happened. Evie was the first to speak. “So? Where’s Mal?”

“She’s not coming back.” He said shortly, moving out of the way of the gate Mal was letting down to keep the rest of them from going up. Evie sighed before walking over to the megaphone that was connected to Mal’s.

“Mal, it’s Evie. Let me just talk to you for a second.” She pleaded. She was the closest one to the purppe haired girl. If anyone could get through to her it was Evie. “Mal come on.”

It kind of hurt that she wasn't that close to her, but she understood. She was the last one to join the group of friends.

“Go away!” Her voice echoed through the megaphone. Hailey ran a hand through her hair as she looked around, noticing the lack of a king dressed as a villain.

“Guys, where’s Ben?” It seemed Carlos had taken note of his disappearance as well. His question got the attention of their friends, who looked down the alley with worried eyes.

A figure was making it’s way towards them, making them think it was their friends. They relaxed. “Ben, don’t scare us like that.”

“Don’t scare you?” A pitchy voice said, making them realize it was in fact not their Ben. Harry Hook stood before them, a malicious smirk on his face. “But that’s my speciality.”

“Harry.” Hailey greeted, her voice dripping with disgust. He was Uma’s right hand man. He did most of her dirty work, and that meant doing his best to cause trouble for others.

The two of them used to be somewhat good friends.  Hailey was friends with Uma and Gil as well, but they had a falling out a long time ago. Hailey had disagreed with a plan Uma had come up with when they were only ten. Uma wanted to run things how she saw fit, and the red head disagreed. She was kicked out of the group and then she found herself becoming close with Evie. She was then introduced to the others, and they welcomed her with open arms.

Jay seethed. If anyone hated Harry more than Hailey, it was him. “What did you do with Ben?”

“Oh, we nicked him.” He told them with a sickly sweet smile. “And if you want to see him again, have Mal come to the chip shop tonight, alone. Uma wants a little visit. Aw, Jay, it seems like you’ve lost your touch.”

Jay lunged forward, ready to fight the boy, but Evie was quick to hold him back. “Jay!”

The two boys had been enemies for as long as any of them could remember. Harry used to make it his ultimate goal to pick fights with Jay whenever he felt the need to.

Harry turned around and walked away, whistling the entire time. The four friend shared a worried glance before they took turned climbing up the side of the stairs. Mal was going to be pissed.