Chap. 17

"So let me see!" I said, dropping next to Bryce in his bed.

Bryce let out a yawn, casting me a look before turning his back to me. He curled up with a pillow and closed his eyes again.

"Come on," I said, reaching over and tugging on his beanie. "Who even wears a beanie in bed anyways?"

"A boyfriend trying to annoy his girlfriend," Bryce muttered.

"Well it's working, so let me see!"

"I'm tired," he complained.

"Just let me see."

"It doesn't even look that interesting."

"Well if you'd just let me see, we wouldn't be having this conversation."

"Dawson," Bryce complained, reaching down to nudge the dog with his foot. "Make her go away."

"You're so mean to me, you know that?"

He rolled over to face me, flashing me a smile. "But I love you."

"Then show me."

He let out a long sigh, sitting up and rubbing his arm across his eyes. "And then I can take a nap?"

"And then you can take a nap," I agreed. "And then we have to do some Chemistry."

"I don't like that plan."

I reached over and whipped his beanie off.

"Ooh, pretty," I said, as I inspected his now staple-free head.

"Gorgeous," he agreed. "I was thinking about going out to be a head model."

"I'd buy your ad." I reached over and pecked him on the lips. "Looks good babe."

"I'm just happy to have those damn things out of my head."

"One more step towards success," I said, reaching over to give him a high-five.

"Nap time now?"

"Nap time now," I agreed, with a laugh.

He's like an oversized two year old.

~*~

"Wow, you're both together in my living room," Bryce said, coming out of his bedroom to see Clayton and me waiting on him.

"Yeah," Clayton muttered, leaning back on his couch. "I'm headed to the game and I need to talk to you."

"Ooh is it bad news? Because I really don't want to deal with that today."

"Tough shit, take a seat."

"Clayton," I muttered, shooting him a look.

Bryce went over and opened the side door, letting Dawson out into the backyard before turning on the XBOX and taking a seat on the floor. "Okay, let me have it."

"So you know how the team was struggling in the whole pitching aspect without you?"

"Yeah," Bryce agreed, reaching over for a controller. "But Powell's been doing better, yeah?"

"About that."

Bryce put down his controller and turned to face Clayton, raising an eyebrow.

"We got a new pitcher."

"Like new to the team or new to the position?"

"New to the team," Clayton said, his eyes briefly connecting with mine before looking back over at Bryce. "New to the school actually."