16

"...there will be a class trip next month," Professor Kim said, handing forms around. "We'll be going to Nami Island and Jeju to observe the biological works there; and we'll stay for two weeks. It's a compulsory field trip."

Sakura felt anxiety twist her gut. Compulsory?

She raised her hand.

"Yes, Miyawaki?"

"Can I not go? I have... something up at my job next month... and I can't miss it," she lied quickly, in hopes of saving herself.

"When next month?" Professor Kim walked back to his desk and uncapped a marker.

"The first and second week," Sakura answered.

"That's fine..."

Sakura breathed out a sigh of relief and relaxed her tensed shoulders.

"...the trip is on the third and fourth week," he finished.

Sakura slumped. Daeman saw and leaned over to his left, "It's okay, we'll protect you."

Hyewon pumped her fist and nodded encouragingly.

Sakura felt the twist in her stomach ease slightly, so she looked over the form.

Full name:

Group:

She raised an eyebrow, confused. "What does 'group' mean?"

"Oh, about that," Professor Kim said, drawing a bubble mind map on the board. "I can't control all thirty students going at once, so we'll have to split you into six groups of five."

If it was even possible, Sakura deflated even more. She knew there was no point arguing though. This time fate was sealed. She could just hope and cross her fingers that Miyun wouldn't be in her group.

"So," the professor said, capping the marker, "this is a mind map of what we're going to do there. I'm forming everyone into groups now, come take a slip of paper from this bag." He held out a paper bag filled with bright coloured paper and told everyone to pick a slip without looking.

Sookyung, Seunmi, and three other boys got red paper, so they were in the red group.

Jinseok, Jaeyeong, Hankyung, and two other girls got yellow paper, so they were in the yellow group.

Sakura held her breath when she saw the slip between her fingers was blue.

She relaxed when Hyewon had subtly peeked into the bag so she'd get blue too. Hyewon smiled at her. Daeman pulled away blue, too, and so did Jiwoo.

Then she tensed and felt like throwing up immediately after she saw Miyun pull away a blue slip.

"Now everyone sit in your groups, you have to discuss as a group what you will do to contribute to this trip purpose."

Everyone pulled up chairs to one desk to sit in circles. Daeman, Jiwoo, and Hyewon immediately circled around Sakura, distancing Miyun away from her.

Miyun glared at her through her heavy lashes.

...

"Sukyeong, you're the leader of red team," Professor Kim announced after everyone had settled back down in their groups. "Jaeyeong, yellow team leader, Sangyu, purple team leader, Hyewon, blue team leader, Nayong, pink team leader, Kyungwon, green team leader."

Daeman leaned to the right slightly so Miyun could only see Sakura's blazer sleeve and his hair.

"Quit staring, Yun, I know I'm handsome," Daeman said, intending to make the girls laugh. Sakura let out a small giggle and Hyewon chuckled. Jiwoo clapped her hand over her mouth and laughed.