52 | Tea

Chapter 52: Tea

I am a girl knocking on a guy's door to speak about our date. There couldn't be a date after Luke and I kissed last night, but I needed to tell Jake in a respectful and apologetic way. I haven't handled this well so far, but I need to make amends.

I didn't plan for this, but Flora's an emotional hurricane in my living room and I didn't want to set her off. So here I am, in a green dress, outside the Dawson family house.

The front door opened, and a fresh smell of lavender wafted through the air.

Mrs Dawson welcomed me with a warm smile. "Hello Millie. Jake mentioned you would be coming over."

She was a beautiful woman, with glossy locks of black hair and chestnut colored eyes. Her skin was silky smooth, and her makeup was natural and almost professionally applied.

"Would you care for some tea? I have a pot of chamomile brewing on the stove."

She invited me inside. Fresh flowers were in a glass vase by a golden framed mirror. The cream-colored carpet felt plush under my shoes and I thought how different this home was to my own.

"Thank you, Mrs Dawson. Should I take my shoes off?" I asked, feeling insecure about my presence.

This was a perfect home for the perfect family. I felt like a bug on a landscape screensaver.

"No need, my dear. Please have a seat in the living room. Jake will be down shortly."

She headed towards the kitchen, and when she disappeared, I noticed someone leaning against the wall behind her. He had been listening this entire time.

Arms folded across his broad chest, blue eyes ablaze. Luke.

The last person I expected to see. The boy whose kiss had me fantasizing...

He spoke in his deep voice, "This date still happening?" 

I couldn't tell what he was thinking. His handsome face was like a mask, hiding emotion.

Luke folded his arms across his strong chest. My eyes were distracted by his moving biceps. It's hard to look at him without reliving last night. When those arms were wrapped around me and when his lips were-

"Where is Jake?" I asked.

Of course, I needed to tell Jake about our kiss last night. But I also couldn't do it by call or text. This conversation needed to be respectful and it needed to be face-to-face.  I owe Jake that.

What an absolute mess.  I agreed to this date over a wee ago and now...

My head was locked in an internal battle with my heart. I tried to concentrate but I had only one thought on my mind. That kiss.

Now that I've gotten a taste, I want more.

"Millie?" Luke repeated, staring at me funny.

I was drooling.

"Sorry!" I apologized, hastily wiping my mouth, "What did you say?"

He smirked and pushed himself off the door, "Distracted?"

"Can you please stay five feet away from me?" I asked, stepping back with every step he took.

He lips curled into that confident, charismatic smirk. He had a presence that took over the room. I wanted to wipe it off his face.

"I'll cancel this date for you," he offered.

"No need."

"Why are you doing this, Millie?"