Chapter 8

"My name is Carolina York."

Chloe looks at me with a look of pure shock on her face.

"I'm sorry, what?" She asks me, probably still trying to string together her thoughts.

"My name is Carolina York, I was born in New York, and my parents were murdered twelve years ago when I was six."

"I got that part. These threats that are showing up around town, they are for you?"

"Yeah."

"And Blake, he isn't your cousin?"

"No. He also didn't kill Millie."

"Yeah, I didn't kill Millie. The people who are responsible for the Yorks' deaths are. They framed me and we now have to prove it." That is how Blake decided to make his grand entrance into my room.

"Oh, hey Blake," Chloe says, quietly, as she turns to face him. "Can you give me more details, or is this not allowed?"

"I'll tell you now that I'm an agent for witness protection, and that I'm here to make sure Cara stays safe. I can also say that you are a potential suspect."

"Okay, so how do I clear myself."

"I'll decide if you're cleared. I need communications between you and your family members. Also their communications between themselves and others."

"Okay, I can give you that. But be warned that a lot of Ryan's messages to Sasha are all lovey-dovey and gross." She then goes on to give Ryan all the passwords to the various modes of communication the Lewis Family uses. "Just don't change anything, mom and dad are really good figuring out if someone is on their servers."

"Well, duh. I also love how you think I'll be the one reading them." He says before he leaves to go make a few calls.

For the next couple of hours, we just sit in my room talking about anything and everything. I don't tell her much about the case because she hasn't been cleared yet. Finally, Blake comes in with the verdict.

"You're good to go." I visibly exhale when he says those words. The rest of the afternoon goes by with Blake and I explaining, in detail, things about the case. I also finally get to reveal some fun things from my many different identities.

She leaves in the early evening, just so that her parents won't get suspicious. They set a curfew for her, a fact I will not be telling Maggie and Albert.

Right before I go to bed, Blake comes into my room and tells me that we would be gong to HQ this coming weekend and that if I wanted Chloe to come with me I would need to let him know as soon as possible. I promised to talk to her at school in the morning.

************************************

On Sunday, Chloe, Blake, Maggie, Alert and I all go to the witness protection headquarters. I honestly thought they were going to drug me before we went there, as that is what had happened every single other time I went there. But, luckily for Chloe and I, they didn't deem it necessary.

Both of us were very shocked when we got to the witness protection building. It looks just like any other building. I would have never guessed that it was government-owned. Based on the expression on her face, Chloe thought the same thing.

The first thing we do once we get into the building is go through security. I swear all I've been doing the last few days is go through security. What has my life become? But after that, we get to meet the famous Alan.

I've only ever heard bits and pieces about the mysterious head of witness protection. If Alan Rogerman has earned the respect of Margaret and Albert Summers, then I respect and trust him. I'm also terrified of meeting him because I've only ever heard the 'funny' stories of hardened criminals running away from him.