WA 4 - Watch Your Back

CHAPTER FOUR

WATCH YOUR BACK

Morning rolled in fast.  Ngayon ang unang araw ng klase sa Worthwood Academy. I even woke up early just to get ready for my first day. Wina was shocked to see me awake even before she could. She laughed at me for being so early; she even told me I looked so excited.

I just rolled my eyes at her and fixed my uniform and things.

"First day is not loaded. The usual getting to know your classmates and teachers. Mga ganoon lang, nakakaumay but you need that, lalo na't bago ka pa lang dito."  She said and fixed her bed.

"Okay na rin 'yon." I said and helped her with the blanket to be properly layed back to its place. "Are we going to eat breakfast together?"

"Yes. Meals should always be in Eldford and all students are required to eat with fellow students."

"What are we going to do today?" I asked nonchalantly.

"Our first class today is history."

"Great."

History class is the most boring class ever, but if you're like me, who was deprived to know things that a normal person should know, magkakainteres ka talaga sa history. My Mama Esme home schooled me but she never taught me about the deep history of Greacugon. She only knew few, and she taught me few too. Kaya kahit na tinuturuan niya ako, para pa ring wala akong alam sa kamunduhan sa paligid ko.

I'm like a person who is self-deprived to live.

A single mistake made my life a living hell.

"Magkasama ba tayo sa buong araw? Or may mga subjects kang hiwalay sa akin?"

She nodded and took her shoes, "Yes. I mean everyday tayong magkakasama. But I doubt kung ikaw ang makakasama ko for the whole year activities."

I frown, " What do you mean?"

"Every elemental user must have a partner. Kung sino man ang taong 'yon ay siya ang makakasama mo sa lahat ng ipapagawa ng mga teachers sa'yo. He or she will be your best alliance—aside from yourself. Kasi kapag hindi niyo nagawa 'yong activity in time... isang malupit na punishment ang matatanggap niyo. That's how they train us. We need to enhance our skills in order for us not to play safe and be a coward to take the risk..."

I frowned, "If ever we managed not to commit to the expected outcome, what will happen to me and to my partner?" I asked.

She smirks, "Malalaman mo rin 'yan kapag nangyari sa'yo."

"Is it drawing lots or I'll pick?"

Umiling siya, "The teacher will choose base na rin sa pagkakatulad mo sa magiging ka-partner mo.

If ever, I want it to be Wina. Safe and not harsh.

She chuckled and patted my shoulder, "I know what you're thinking. Dapat talaga matutunan mo na kung papaano isarado 'yang mga pinag-iisip mo." Ani niya, "Enemies can use that as a weapon, Nathalia. You should always be guarded with that mind of yours."

Enemies can use it. Yes. She's practically right!

I know she's advanced, pero nakakamangha lang talaga 'yong mga nagagawa nila. In the span of two months, she learned a lot. Paano kung ako naman? Magiging mabilis kaya akong matuto sa mga pag-aaralan? I may be dumb right now, but I'm really willing to learn.

"Miss Moore is good in her field, she'll help you with that."

"I hope so. I'm kind of nervous. Baka kasi bumagsak ako." I said with a worried tone, "Sino si Miss Moore?"