eighteen

I shrugged off my coat and picked up my wand, preparing myself for any training Voldemort would make me do today. After a quick breakfast, a small chat with Draco, and a bunch of deep breaths, I decided to head into the dungeons, where Voldemort had asked me to join him for our training.

The dungeon was dark and musky. A dim light hung from the middles and my steps echoed from the stone walls, and I winced as I heard sounds coming from the dark cells against the walls.

"Good morning, My Lord."

"You're here. Would you like to know why we are down here instead?"

"Yes."

"Here's why—"

Voldemort moved away from where he was standing and at first, I saw nothing. However, I took a closer look and saw none other than my father, curled up on the ground, face dirty and eyes closed.

"Dad!"

Without thinking, I jumped down next to his side and shook his shoulder, trying to get his attention. He only shook his head.

A cold, bony hand on my shoulder made me remember that I wasn't alone. I stood back up and turned around to face Voldemort again.

"Remember, you'll need to stay neutral in any situation," Voldemort said, his voice deep and cold. "You cannot afford to show emotion in this world."

I nodded. "Yes, My Lord."

"Now to our training. You already know how to kill plants and animals, slowly and quickly. Today I want you to practise slowly killing people, and your father is the perfect person. However, if you do this right, you will not kill him. I only want you to make him hurt."

"I—what?" As I processed what Voldemort had just told me, I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I tried to blink them away and stand tall, asserting my confidence, but it wasn't easy. Voldemort could easily see my emotions.

"Go up to your father, and begin the same process I taught you: Put out your hands, focus all of your emotions onto your victim, and push."

I gulped, correcting my stance. I put my hands up, but I couldn't do it. I can't hurt my dad, not again.

"L/n, you're not going to improve with this training if you can't do this. And you will do this, whether you want to or not."

I wiped away the tears filling my eyes and took a deep breath. "Yes, My Lord."

I looked down at my dad, who now looked back at me, eyes wide with fear. I mouthed I'm sorry and put my hands back up. He closed his eyes, curling into himself as much as he could, preparing to be hurt.

~~~

I shivered, moving closed to Draco for warmth as we walked down Diagon Alley. His parents walked in front of us, and we were headed towards Borgin and Burkes.

I saw movement close behind us and turned to see a bit of ginger hair disappear into thin air. I assumed it was the Golden Trio and Harry's invisibility cloak, so I stopped walking. Upon hearing nothing, however, I continued again.

Draco reached for my hand. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "I thought I saw something."

"Oh, okay. I don't see anything. Should we stop again?"

Behind me, I heard a quiet "Ow, Ron!" and looked at Draco, nodding.

He got his parents' attention and told them we should stop.

"Let's go get our robes. You two are growing so much!"

~~~

After throwing the Golden Trio off of our scent, we started walking back to Borgin and Burkes.

We entered the store and were led to the back, where a bubbling black cauldron sat in the middle. Bellatrix, Greyback, and a new Death Eater stood around the room, all turning to see our arrival.

Bellatrix cackled. "Ahah, finally! Sissy, can I start?"

Narcissa looked at her sister. "Bella, you know we have to explain things to them first. Plus, the Dark Lord isn't even here yet."

Bellatrix sighed, rolling her eyes and crossing her arms.

Lucius turned to me and Draco, and I subconsciously moved closer to Draco. He squeezed my hand briefly as we listened to his father.

"This is going to burn for a few hours. You must swear to keep this a secret from everybody at school. Severus is the only one who will be aware of this, besides the two of you."

The name Severus too me off guard. I had forgotten that Snape and the Malfoys were close.

"When the Dark Lord arrives, he will explain your mission, and then the process will commence."

I gulped, scared for what was to come.

A popping noise sounded from behind me as Voldemort Apparated into the room. I jumped, and my blood ran cold as I realised I had no time left.

"Ah, it's time. Draco, Y/n. I am going to keep you two at Hogwarts. You must keep this a complete secret. You cannot tell anyone."

I listened, fear flooding through my body with every word.

"You two will have to find some way to kill Dumbledore."

I had to hide the emotions I was feeling, but on the inside I felt absolutely terrified. This year was going to be horrible.

"Can we start now?" Bellatrix said, giggling.

Voldemort sighed. "Yes, Bella. Mix the cauldron."

Her laugh continued, just louder.

Bellatrix walked around, chanting and laughing. She pulled me and Draco closer to the cauldron and Voldemort followed.

He grabbed Draco's left arm, held it over the bubbling cauldron, and pointed his wand at the underside. With a complicated spell, a black Dark Mark grew onto his arm. Voldemort immediately plunged his arm into the cauldron. Draco winced and cried out. As soon as his arm was removed, he backed up and fell against me. My eyes widened in shock and I carefully leaned his body against the stone wall.

I gulped down air and walked up to the cauldron, holding out my left arm. Voldemort went through the same process with me and soon, I was unconscious next to Draco.