11.

Squad cars covered the entire block. The police officers had to instruct the drivers to take another road since there wasn't a way for the cars to get through. Majority of the residents stood to the side as they watched the officers get to work.

"Wait, Jersey." Kelli instructed her friend as she tried to match her speed. She had parked her car and decided to walk the rest of the way.

"I-I can't." Jersey fretted as she scuttled down the street. She wasted no time getting to the building. Her aunt was busy talking to one of the cops with Shaye right on her side. Tears cascaded down her face as she held her hand over her mouth. When she noticed Jersey, she started crying harder. Jersey wrapped her arms around her Auntie and cried right along with her.

"He's gone! Jersey, he's goneee!" Lisa bewailed. Shaye walked over and carefully rubbed her aunt's back. Jersey didn't say anything, she just continued to cry hard. Honestly she didn't have much to say. She was still trying to process everything in.

When they pulled away from each other, Jersey darted her eyes over at Shaye. They didn't say anything to each other-which was the norm for them. She placed her eyes back on her aunt and asked, "Did they let you see him yet? To make sure he's-"

"I did." Lisa answered with a head nod and said, "My baby's gone..."

Jersey stood there looking as if time was going slow. Her heart was racing, but she felt numb-she could barely move. She looked around and noticed that people were being nosy.

Residents were outside trying to see Rudy's body while the officers interrogated people. Jersey's mouth gaped when she noticed the stretcher being wheeled out of the building. A white sheet was pulled over the body for many different reasons. Jersey could see Rudy's brown hand dangling from the stretcher and that's when she lost her mind.

"RUDY!" She wailed out while trying to get closer towards the stretcher. The officers noticed her motive to get closer, so they prevented her from doing so.

"Ma'am, you cannot walk over the yellow tape!" The officer informed her as he held his hand out for her to stop.

"But that's my cousin." Jersey croaked in a breathy tone. Her eyes swarmed with tears.

"I'm sorry but you cannot walk over here." He replied while giving the men permission to load Rudy's body in the vehicle.

"Nooo!" Jersey wailed as she dropped down to her knees. The people around her were looking, but she didn't care. Shaye was about to say something to her, but Kelli jumped on the opportunity first.

"I know this is very hard for you, Jay." Kelli whispered in her ear as she kneeled down to her level. "But I need you to pull yourself together, be strong for Rudy. Okay?"

Jersey never replied back, she just stayed on the ground with her face in the palm of her hands. Lisa and Shaye both stood by watching the scene. They didn't know what Kelli was saying to Jersey.

"Come on, get up and wipe your face." Kelli instructed her. She helped her best friend off the ground and wiped her face.

"I came as soon as I heard the news!" Both girls turned their attention towards Vena who had pulled up on them with her sister, Natalie.

"Are you okay, Mamita?" Vena asked Jersey as she voluntarily hugged her.

"I don't even know..." Jersey trailed off as she wiped her face. Her facial expression was calm with a hint of sadness.

Vena placed her eyes on Lisa and made sure to speak to her and Shaye. "I'm so sad to hear about this...I hope you're holding up."

"I'm trying but it's hard for me." Lisa replied back as she pulled out a pack of Newport cigarettes. "So, that's-that."