XXXVI. Olivia Barnes

Chapter Thirty-Six
Soroya

I hate funerals. Olivia Barnes was a clearly a very loved person, because so many people came to honor her. She lived a long and beautiful life. I wish Bucky got the chance to see his sister one last time before this happened.

I sat next to Steve during the ceremony, holding his hand the whole time. He was the second one to throw dirt into her grave, after her son. When the attendants started to leave to go back to her house, Olivia's son stayed behind for a moment and thanked Steve for coming. When he shook hands with me and told me his name, I used all my self control not to cry. His name is James Buchanan. He was named after Bucky. Looking at him I can see some resemblance, particularly in the eyes. I'm assuming the steel blue eyes are a Barnes family trait. As I look into James's eyes, I can almost for a second see Bucky starring back at me.

We drive back to her house, where I see people both young and old there to honor Olivia. James introduces us to a lot of them, though they pretty much know both of our names. I was so used to being anonymous to everyone except HYDRA or law enforcement out for my throat. But things have changed. I was an Avenger now and with that came being a house hold name. It is very strange.

An older woman, probably a friend of Olivia's, asks me why I am at the funeral. She knows Steve was like a brother to Olivia and wondered if I am Steve's fiancé.

I shake my head at her. "No I was...I was a friend of the family." I end up telling her. I didn't want to have to explain that I was in love with Olivia's older but younger looking brother. It's too complicated and honestly it's still not something I like to talk about.

The guests start looking through family photos. I look over a nice old man's shoulder as he looks at one particular album. On one of these pages I see a face that makes my heart stop. I ask him for the album, finding myself starring down at Bucky. The pictures are from back in his time. Most of them are with his siblings or with Steve. I knew he had three; Rebecca, Charles, and a Olivia. It was so clear all of them loved him dearly. Seeing Bucky in these pictures is so different; he looks so light, so free of the burden that was thrown on him. He looks happy, truly happy. Seeing his smile makes my heart sing despite the sadness it brings me. I study how his eyes crinkle up and his nose scrunches. He seems to be laughing, and if I focus hard enough, I can almost hear it now. I feel an ache in my chest that starts to become unbearable.

I find a couple of pictures of him and Steve, a much smaller Steve. It's shocking to see him back then. They both look really happy, even Steve having a lightened look to him. On the next page I find a picture of just Bucky alone, looking handsome as ever in his army uniform in what looks to be his backyard. As James passes by, I ask him if I can keep the photo. I have a feeling Steve told him about who I really was to Bucky, because he smiles at me sadly and nods. Careful not to bend the photo, I tuck it into my jacket, shutting the album and bringing it over to Steve. He looks through each photo with a mixture of happiness and sadness that even I don't understand. Steve ends up taking two photos; one with Bucky, his family, and Steve, as well as one with Bucky and Steve laughing together.

I actually have a fascinating conversation with a friend of Olivia's who had been a dancer. She and I discuss our favorite dancers of her time and what Hollywood icons she loves. I seem to impress her with my knowledge of the topic. She was a ballet dancer and performed all across the country, especially during war time. Most of her dances were for Swan Lake. She said she met her husband during one of her performances at an air force base. They've been married for sixty two years and have four kids. Part of me envies her, thinking of a life I could have had if things had been different, if I'd been born in a different time.