XXXVIII. The Older Sibling

Chapter Thirty-Eight
Soroya

The mountains of Jabariland are beautiful. I never get tired of seeing them. When Steve dropped me off, I took Bucky's box of belongings and put it in my room in the palace. I feel better having it here, for some reason it feels safer.

Since it was late at night when I arrived, I waited until the next morning to see everyone. I said hello to Okoye first, who gave me a beautiful short spear she helped design for my birthday. It makes me wish I could carry weapons on my suit.

I spent some time with her and Ramonda before heading to see Khari. He was in a meeting with M'Baku, who greeted me with a wide smile and a birthday wish. Khari and I went back to his house when he was done, where his parents were nice enough to surprise me with a birthday cake.

I absolutely love Khari's parents. I remember when Alex first met them, how nervous he was to take that step in his first relationship. So nervous in fact, he made me come with him. I instantly fell in love with Lekan and Makena. Both of them are so open and warm, so kind to everyone they meet. It's obvious where Khari got his optimism and idealistic views. Alex and I came here to visit them all the time. They really took us into their family. In another life, if things had been different, we just might have become family for real. But even with how things turned out, they both treat me like part of the family.

The cake Makena made was delicious; it was chocolate with strawberry frosting. She also made me pasta, which she knows is my absolute favorite. I told everyone I didn't want gifts, but knowing the Chikere family, I knew that was a lost cause. Makena and Lekan gave me beautiful necklace with a carved wooden flower. I teared up when they gave it to me, hugging them both very tightly. Khari gave me a present I loved just as much, while on one of our missions he apparently did some shopping for me. He bought me a pair of beautiful tap shoes so I no longer have to borrow pairs from the studio I dance at.

This is all I would have ever wanted for Alex. This family is something I wanted for him more than anything. Even as children I would dream of the day he met a nice girl or boy that made him open up his heart. I'm so glad I got to see it happen, if only for a while.

After the celebration was over, Khari took me onto the roof of the house. This is where Khari does all his painting. As we walk towards the edge of the roof, I pass by at least thirty paintings lying around.

"You've been painting a lot lately." I point out. Last time I visited there weren't nearly as many canvases.

Khari looks at them, nodding his head. "It's been helping...it's a good distraction."

I nod my head solemnly, knowing just how he feels. It's the reason why I dance; because I can forget my pain, if only for a moment.

"I'm sorry," Khari says after a few moments. "I tell then every year you don't want to celebrate your birthday, but they wouldn't take no for an answer."

I shake my head, placing my hand on his arm. "It's fine, really. They were so sweet. I love the gifts and the cake was amazing. I can't thank them enough for how they took Alex and I in. It just makes me think what could have been..."

Khari closes his eyes, his voice thick as he says: "I think about that everyday."

I gave myself a lot of credit for holding back my tears until now, but there was no reason to hide them from Khari. "I keep thinking about how I'm-I'm not a little sister anymore. I'm older than him. I don't want to be older than him." I weep. Khari collects me into his arms and holds onto me tightly.

He holds me for a long time as I cry into his chest. I feel so grateful I have him here to share my pain. I know he misses Alex as much as I do, and that makes it that much easier to bare the weight of that grief.