XLIV. The Way You Look Tonight

Chapter Fourty-Four
Soroya

I spent an hour and a half sitting with Bucky while he ate. I ended up ordering lunch too; which consisted of a turkey sandwich and a small salad. He told me about his life. A lot of it I did know; his job at his father's store, his siblings, his athletics. I smiled as he talked fondly of his baby sister Olivia. My heart then sunk as I remember I went to her funeral only two weeks ago.

He talked about Steve as well. If I had truly just met Bucky, I would have thought he was talking about one of his brothers. He talks about how he is always getting himself into trouble, but it's his kind heart that makes others want to take advantage of him and pick on him. I can tell this makes him angry. It makes me angry too. But jokes on all of those bullies; their children and grandchildren will learn about Steve in history class one day.

The love Bucky has for Steve is written all over his face as he talks about him, just like it was back in our time. After the snap, Steve and I formed a bond that the others couldn't understand. Bucky is the person Steve and I loved the most. I know that if it had been Steve that vanished and not Bucky, that the devastation would have been the same.

Before he left, he politely asked the waitress if she wanted to come as Steve's date. She shockingly said yes. Bucky kissed my hand one more time before exiting the diner. As soon as he did so, the waitress turned to me.

"Is that the guy who broke your heart?"

I shake my head. "No..no he's someone new." I say with a smile.

She nods her head, taking our plates away and returning moments later with a small mirror and a red lipstick. She applies the lip stick as she asks: "You got anything to wear?"

I look down at my outfit and gesture to it. She closes her hand mirror and shakes her head at me. "If this is your first man after a heartbreak, you need to dress up a bit more," she points to the back room, gesturing for me to follow her towards it. "I have a cute outfit that will fit you, though I'm shocked anything does given your height. I live above the diner since my father owns the place."

She pushes through the back door, which of course leads to the kitchen. Over in the corner are stairs leading up to another floor. As we ascend them, I see that the floor contains a living room, a bathroom, and two doors leading to what I assume are two bedrooms. She opens up the door on the right side of the room which is no doubt hers; with the bright blue and yellow blankets and pillows, the endless records stacked on the floor, and the dresser lined with makeup and different dresses.

She gestures to the never ending supply of outfits and makeup, smiling. "Take your pick of lipstick and blush, but that outfit on the hanger on my closet door is perfect for you. My dad got it a couple sizes too small. Never ask a man to buy you clothes, they're clueless."

I go over to her closet, picking up the outfit she referred to, smiling down at it; it's a light pink almost tan long skirt, with a matching belt and blouse, a beautiful white sweater with flowers knitted into it, and a pink purse to match.

I turn back to her, clutching the outfit to my chest. "I'm so grateful...I'm Lena. What's your name?"

She smiles at me as well, ushering me towards her dresser. "I'm Ruth," she says, picking up what looks like an old fashioned curling iron. "Here, I'll help you with your hair."

I nod to her and sit down on the bed, feeling for a moment like a normal woman getting ready for a date. I have to admit, it feels really nice.

-

Bucky rushed to the diner a little before eight, telling us Steve had gotten beaten up and needed some more time to get ready. He told us to meet him there. So, Ruth and I took a taxi to the Stark Expo and waited between a pair of statues, right in front of the event.