Chapter 14

The group, now down a body, stood at the intersection. They stayed there for a moment, everyone gathering themselves.

Jay had returned his wrench back to it's place inside his cloak, well aware that 049 was going to lecture him about how a wrench 'isn't a proper medical instrument'.

Lanky reasoned that whatever Jay world have done probably wouldn't have been in his best interest and that it was best to just let 049 help.

106 was the least shaken of the group, although he was left wondering how the two doctors could be related.

035 was left without a host, muttering curses under his breath. Still being held by 049.

049 had begun to pace, noting that he would need to remind Jay that bludgeoning someone with whatever you have with you isn't a proper treatment.

They stayed by the intersection for a few more moments until the faint scraping of stone to the right snapped them back. After sharing a look between each other the group headed off towards the sound.

As they continued down the halls the grating sounds of stone against stone grew louder. They could tell they were close when a loud snap echoed through the halls from just around a corner.

Lanky was the first to make the turn, everyone else following soon after. Once they had they where met with the site of 096 patting 173 on the head.

035 wasn't focused on the statue like the others, instead it landed on the fresh corpse that lay by it's feet.

"Hey, Doc." He tried his best to look up at 049 while still being cradled in his arms.

"Yes, what is it?"

The mask could practically feel his heart melt. It'd been far to long since he'd heard the Doctor sound so gentle. He had always preferred to try and keep professional even when he wasn't working so hearing such a comforting tone was a rarity.

"Do you see that body over there? Do you think you could fix it up a bit for me?"

"Of course I could but wouldn't you prefer to possess someone still living?"

"I would but gods know how long it'll take to find another host."

With that the Doctor set to work. Kneeling beside the body, leaning 035 against his boot. He quickly set aside the materials needed to repair the neck before beginning the procedure.

He cut into the back of the neck by the base of the skull. Doing his best to reconnect and strengthen the pieces that had been broken or damaged. The others tried to lean over his shoulder as he worked. The whole operation couldn't have taken more than five minutes but never the less 035 was getting impatient.

As soon as he could tell that 049 had finished stitching the neck back up he began to question him.

"Is it finished? Is it alright to use?"

"There's one more thing I must do before you can use it but it'll be quick."

With that 049 pulled a vial and syringe from his bag. The liquid in the vial appeared a similar color to red wine, if a bit darker. 049 removed the lid and quickly filled the syringe with the vials contents. It was injected into the corpses neck, draining the syringe.

"That should help to preserve this body so you won't rot it all away as soon as the last." 049 said, placing 035 on the new body.

Seconds later 035 was back on his feet with a proper host. He turned to the Doctor, practically beaming.

"Thank you darling."