19. A little scare

Akshita

"No, just prepare that report in a basic format. I want to review it first... Yeah, that would be alright..." I kept listening to Ashish as he talked to his employee on the phone in a bossy tone.

We had our breakfast and then he got a call from his work. I smiled leaving him to his work and went to place the plates in the kitchen. I was washing the plates when I was pulled harshly from behind.

"What did you say to Ashish against us?" My mother snapped at me angrily.

"I haven't said anything to him," I replied fearfully.

"We all can see how he is behaving with us all of a sudden. He is cold towards us because of you. Surely you are not that important that he would fight with people over you." She snarled at me in disgust. My mother was disgusted by me.

I had it coming though. I knew these questions would be asked. It was inevitable. Ashish is not like my family, he is different from their normal. And different is always frowned upon, questioned. They don't understand the way he had been brought up by his parents, they don't understand his values so I knew they would think I poisoned his mind against them.

"There is nothing like that, mom. I... I didn't..." I stuttered. It was difficult to not cower under my mother's intimidating glare.

"Listen here, It's just a matter of a few days. When he will be done using you, you will be like a small grain of sand, of no use. So just drop this, 'I am the queen of the world' act of yours or I have my ways to make you drop it." She spat angrily and left me there shivering at her words. Her words were so cruel and evil, something a mother would not even think of saying to her daughter.

My hands started shaking uncontrollably and I fell onto my knees losing my energy. Ashish is in the room, I couldn't find my voice to call him, I needed him. My voice died down under my heavy breathing.

One of the maids saw me fallen on the kitchen floor, breathing heavily. She freaked out and called out my name. I couldn't respond but I whispered his name. Her eyes widened and she ran to call him. The family members gathered around in the kitchen looking at me as if I was a joker. Not even a single person came to help me.

"What the hell are you doing? Get up right now." My father yelled at me angrily. I breathed heavily and tried to stand up but I fell again. I was sitting against the cupboards in the kitchen when I finally saw him running towards me.

"Ashish..." I breathed out as I saw him from my peripheral vision. He ignored everyone present there, scooped me up in his arms and took me to my room. Black dots started appearing in front of my vision.

"Akshita, no. Don't close your eyes. Shit, Akshita, look at me." He kept calling out to me. I looked at him but his face was blurring.

"Breathe, follow my beat, how I taught you." I registered a few words of his as he kept my hand on his heart. I focussed my attention solely on his heartbeat. After some time, I felt myself calming down.

"Ashish." I breathed out and tears streamed down my eyes.

"Shhh... Everything is fine. You are fine. I am here for you." He whispered taking me in his arms. It felt like he was consoling himself that I was fine.

"Ashish..." He looked at me with tears shining in his eyes. Fear was etched onto his face. I kept my hand on his face and a tear fell out of his eye.

"I am fine," I said with utmost difficulty but it was important for me to assure him.

"I was scared." He muttered and wrapped his arms tightly around me. Moving away, he kissed every inch of my face with love.

"I want to go home. To mamma, papa and Khushi. I don't want to stay here anymore." I whispered, wrapped in his arms.