Chapter Twenty Four - Part Two

Chapter Twenty Four: A Lot To Learn - Part Two

"Keep your feet loose," she went on. "Bounce on the spot, keeping in mind that you'll always be moving." She bounced lightly, shifting her weight to each foot. James attempted the same.

She showed him a jab with her left fist, and a cross with her right. "Keep the wrist loose but firm on impact. Twist and pivot your front foot as you jab with your left hand. Pivot on your back foot as you cross with your right."

James followed her in a succession of left and right punches.

"Duck and dodge to the left," she said. She ducked low and side stepped, then came up threw out two quick punches.

James attempted the same, feeling his muscles start to loosen up and slowly getting into the rhythm. Four punches, duck and side step, come up and repeat.

James was soon breathing harder, and he was thankful for the loose shirt he wore.

"Forward," she added sharply, and after every side step they ducked and shifted forward, throwing more punches.

"Good, Liana eventually said again, lowering her arms. "How was that?"

"Not bad," James breathed. He wasn't fully out of breath; in fact he found himself more awake than when they had started. Although the wound on his side was throbbing. He considered asking Tabetha if she could take a look at it, assuming she also knew healing magic, but something felt odd about that. Like it would be too much of a personal request. He wasn't sure why he felt strange asking her to mend one of his injuries.

Liana went on to show him a front kick with her left foot, followed by a side kick to the right, and finished with a spin kick, noting where to plant his feet and how to shift his balance. James moved with her.

"Faster, keep going," Liana said, throwing out each kick beside him.

They kept on with the three-kick combination, moving to one end of the grid and then turning and moving towards the other end. Liana picked up the pace after each length, switching stances every so often so that they would kick with their opposite legs. James stumbled when they first switched feet, having gotten used to one combination, but soon fell into the rythm.

Liana led him into a long series of punches and kicks, calling out combinations and quickly executing them, occasionally adding ducks and side steps or switching direction.

"Great," Liana finally said, coming to a stop.

James was now panting, the sweat dripping from his forehead.

Liana gestured to the side. She didn't seem nearly as fatigued at James was. In fact she didn't seem to be sweating at all. "Have some water, over there on the shelf, and we'll take a little breather."

James nodded and walked over to a shelf unit, and retrieved a bottle from within the glass casing. Liana followed him and took a bottle.

"How long has it been since you first tried a training room like this?" he asked.

Liana hummed. "Over thirty five years, I'd say. Back home on Belurame."

James paused. "That's right," he said. "Oneron live longer than humans." His face grew hot, realising how stupid it was to have to recall such a simple thing as lifespans.

Liana didn't seem to be shocked or embarrassed for him. She went on to speak casually. "I turned fifty-six recently, so you can say that's roughly around thirty or so years old for a human. If you wanted the equivalent. Maybe a third of our average lifespan."