Chapter Twenty Five - Part One

Chapter Twenty Five: A Soldier's Sorrow - Part One  

Sam Hawkings looked over the weaponry in the small room.

He stood quietly, taking in the sight of the hanging swords and staffs, the knives and pistols on the shelves, and the rifles on display. It had been some time since he'd seen an arsenal like this, and it gave him an uneasy pause.

"So things have been quiet lately?" Sam asked Jorak.

The huge man stood closely beside Sam in the confines of the weapons room, which was little more than a metal alcove in the wall. Four men could comfortably stand shoulder to shoulder in the room, although Jorak was big enough for two men at least.

"There's always something happening around these parts," Jorak said. His deep voice took on a gravelly tone when he spoke quietly. "While the Canarrian government would prefer we stay out of their planet's affairs, they do come to us for help or looking for intel from time to time. There was a small rebellion down in the southern isles a while back, where we stepped in to maintain order. Last season we uncovered a band of insane desert wanderers who were killing anyone they came across. You don't want to know what they did with the bodies."

Sam nodded, looking over the armoury as he listened. "How many do you have here?"

"Over fifty on the last count," Jorak said. "Thirty soldiers, a handful of cadets, and the rest are staff with basic training."

"Not all Oneron, though?" Sam asked. He had definitely seen some soldiers earlier that didn't look Oneron, and an alien who wasn't compatible to mate with humanoids, and so not able to inherit the Oneron blood.

"Twelve Oneron, including Liana and myself. The rest are a mix. A couple of Zianni and Altenine. Good soldiers."

Jorak was quiet a moment, before he said, "We lost Dulsten. A few seasons back."

A cold shiver ran through Sam. He cursed quietly. "How?"

"Aircraft crash. They were transferring civilians from their burning transport onto their ship in mid-air. Dulsten helped get them all to safety, but when one of the younger civ's lost their footing, he did all he could to get her into the ship. He went down with the transport ship while the others got to safety."

Sam swallowed, his chest tightening. That all sounded far too familiar to him. "How has Liana been?"

It couldn't have been easy for her, losing her partner like that. Liana and Dulsten had been a long-term couple for many years. One of the best suited couples Sam had ever known.

"It hit her hard," Jorak said. "She's only recently taken control of the outpost again, after taking some time off."

Sam shook his head. Dulsten was a good man. Headstrong and ambitious. It was never easy losing a good soldier, and a good friend.

"She didn't say anything," Sam muttered. He shook his head again and looked around. picking up a pistol and examining it. They had come to find a gun for Sam to carry, although he was finding it difficult to concentrate on any of the weapons. Thoughts of lost soldiers troubled him, blurring his thoughts. It took him a moment to realise Jorak was silently watching him.

"How long has it been for you?" Jorak asked, his brows lowered with sincerity.

Sam turned away from the gun. "How long?"

"Since you last fought."

"Well if we're talking about using a sword and fighting for my life, then not too long ago."